Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Diabetic nephropathy - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Diabetes
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2572 Questions
User :   Hi! my father is diabetes patient and 3 weeks back his creatinine was measured as 4.5 mg/dl . 2 days back his creatinine level was observed to be 3.21mg/dl, but blood haemoglobin is decreased to 8 g/dl. My father is 57 year old and what are the possible treatement he should undergo to come out of this problem?                                                                 
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   let me read what you have typed.
User :   Hi Dr ...
Doctor :   the problem that your father is having could be due to the damage to kidney.
Doctor :   what were his recent sugar levels?
User :   Can it be cured??
Doctor :   is he regular with diet, medication and exercise for sugar control?
User :   recent sugar levels are normal
User :   around 70 - 91 is fasting
Doctor :   uncontrolled sugars, can damage the kidney known as diabetic nephropathy.
User :   ok
Doctor :   was anytime a test called HbA!C (glycosylated hemoglobin) done for him?
Doctor :   *HbA1C
Doctor :   it checks for sugar control over past 3-4 months time.
User :   I dont kniow exact test type but it was Haemoglobin and normally it is 14 and his was 8
Doctor :   kidney damage can lead to anemia or educed hemoglobin depending on the extent of damage
User :   oh\
Doctor :   as the hormone for hemoglobin formation is reduced if kidney is damaged
User :   What is the chance of his kindey start functioning normally?
Doctor :   what I would suggest at this point of time is to do these
User :   I mean creatinine level comes down to less than 2
Doctor :   1) get his HbA1C checked along with a renal scan to look for changes in kidney
Doctor :   2) get his Renal erthythropoitin levels checked to see if the hemoglobin formation is affected
Doctor :   3) let him avoid meat and protien in diet for sometime, stick to simple and bland diet
User :   ok
Doctor :   4) get a diabetologist consultation for him along with a nephrology consultation.
User :   ok
Doctor :   the combined approach will make sure that every aspect is taken care of
User :   If kidney tranplant is not possible than how long can he avoid dialysis?
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
User :   I would like to try for kidney change
User :   but just in case?
User :   yeah
User :   I understood it
Doctor :   that can be decided after the nephrology consult, to see if it is necessary
User :   If I want to take my father to nephrologist at vellore. What step I should follow?
User :   As I am have never been to southern part of India
Doctor :   you will have to take appointment there or get a referral letter from your treating doctor, referring to a nephrologist in Vellore.
Doctor :   once you have that, it is easy to take consult there
Doctor :   you can also call up Vellore hospital and find out when you can get the next urgent appointment
Doctor :   and visit there on the given date
User :   thanks. for the information. Based on his haemoglobin and creatinine level can we estimate his CKD stage?
User :   Can I get ... hospital contact number online?
Doctor :   you will also need ultrasound findings and other few special tests to comment on the CKD stage.
Doctor :   yes, you can get it .
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor