Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Degenerative neuromuscular disease - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   my 43 year old son has a degenerative neuromuscular disease and is diabetis. We recently have had to begin using a sliding scale to regulate. He is on Novolin R. At 5:45pm his glucose was 284. I administered 12 units prior to his g tube feeding. Then @ 12:10am prior to his feeding it was 386. I then administered 16 units. I only gave him 120ml of his Diabetia Source. At 1:40am I checked it again to see if it had come down. It was then 476. Now what should I do?

Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr AAAAAAA here
Doctor :   please give me few moments to read what you have typed
Doctor :   his sugar levels are uncontrolled even with the Insulin
Doctor :   I would suggest not to delay taking him back to hospital
Doctor :   sugar levels of more than 300, can be dangerous
User :   Thank you. I was hoping to prevent that since we were just discharged day before yesterday. I do appreciate your input and will call the ambulance. Thanks again.
Doctor :   ok. is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   No, I gave him 18 grams of Beneprotien afer the 476 reading, hoping to help with the insulin. However, if you think I should go to ER now, I shall. He shares your name, incidentally.
Doctor :   i would recommend to take him to hospital or ER for a check and proper sugar control
User :   Thank you so much. You have been a great help.
Doctor :   as it can affect him anytime with bleeding behind retina causing blurred vision or blindness, or bleeding in brain resulting isn stroke
Doctor :   as due to high levels of sugar blood vessels can become easily damagable
User :   Thanks for the warning and good night.
Doctor :   to prevent these consequences, he will need adequate control of sugars
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now. wish him good health and better recovery.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor