Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Cure for itching in urethra - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   hello, i have a slight itch inside my urethra, near the head. I got it after having unprotected sex about a week ago. It's not getting worse, but it's not going away either. it does not hurt and I don't have any secretions or discharge. What could it be? it is a very mild itch, and I can alleviate it by rubbing the spot between my fingers. Is it an STD? Should I get tested?
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr xxx here
Doctor :   give me a min
User :   sure
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   have you noticed and redness ?
User :   nope
Doctor :   may i know your age ?
User :   20
User :   its a very very mild discomfort
Doctor :   any change in your frequency of urinating ?
User :   not really
User :   and no pain when urinating or ejaculating
Doctor :   ok well you really don't have any typical signs of a urinary track infection but with a history of unprotected sex i would advice you to get tested
Doctor :   also for the next few days do the following
Doctor :   drink lots of water. By drinking lots of fluids, you will force yourself to urinate more often, which will help your body flush out the bacteria that is causing the infection. A recommendation is to drink 6-8 large glasses of water per day.
Doctor :   Increasing your daily Vitamin C intake can help increase the acidity of your urine, which can help prevent bacterial growth.
User :   do you have any idea what this could be?
User :   and the probability of this being an STD?
Doctor :   just a mild itch could also be an allergic reaction
Doctor :   all you need to do is get a simple urine test done
Doctor :   thats all
Doctor :   Cranberry juice contains high concentrations of Vitamin C and Quinolic Acid, both of which are known to help treat UTI since they help prevent bacteria from anchoring onto bladder walls
Doctor :   any condition if detected early is completely cured
User :   okay, and do I need to go to a urologist(?) or just any hospital?
Doctor :   a urologist would be the right person to visit
Doctor :   but the tests can be done in any hospital
User :   thank you, and can you answer my second question? the probabilty of this being an STD?
Doctor :   the chances are extremely low
User :   do I need to consult the partner?
Doctor :   that is why i am stressing on a test, that will relieve you of your mental tension
Doctor :   yes you can ask her if she is also experiencing any similar symptoms
User :   anything I should refrain from until the test?
User :   certain diet, or sex, masterbation, etc
Doctor :   follow what i have told you
Doctor :   drink lots of water
Doctor :   it is strongly recommended to have foods rich in fiber content along with water. This will help in naturally flushing the impurities along with bacteria from the body.
Doctor :   you should be fine
User :   okay, thank you very much
Doctor :   your most welcome
Doctor :   take care
User :   byebye
Doctor :   bye
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor