Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Cramps and bloating during intercourse - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women Sexual Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   Hi, i have a question.
Doctor :   please proceed with your health query
User :   i have been cramping and have gotten bloated during intercourse with my partner of 2 years.
Doctor :   ok
User :   i was wondering why i have been cramping. it hurts really bad up to the point that i couldn't really stand up.
Doctor :   ok. is the pain present while having the intercourse?
Doctor :   since when you are having these complaints?
User :   the pain is very minor, but last night it was really bad.
User :   i have had these pains since yesterday.
Doctor :   ok. is there any abnormal discharge or foul smell to the discharge?
User :   and 2-3 days prior, i woke up with these pains while vacationing with my sister.
Doctor :   is there itching or burning in the vaginal area?
User :   no, there are no abnormal discharge or foul smell. no, there is no itching or burning. but it also hurts when i use the restroom to do #2 and my cramps are below my stomach.
Doctor :   do you have any other symptoms associated like nausea, chest burning sensation, cravings for food, increased tiredness, increased sleepiness, mood changes, breast tenderness, increased frequency of urination?
User :   well 2 weeks before i had very tender breasts. i take birth control everyday, and try my best to take them on time.
Doctor :   is there burning or discomfort associated while passing urine?
Doctor :   are your stools soft (normal) or hard in consistency?
Doctor :   do you take your birth control pills about the same time everyday? or does it vary for more than 3 hours time?
User :   sometimes i feel discomfort with passing urine, and my stool is usually very hard. i do take my pills everyday at the same time the most i will forget would be and hour but that is rarely.
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   your symptoms suggest possibility of pregnancy. some women do tend to get pregnant while being on the pills. another possibility is of a PID (pelvic inflammatory disease).
Doctor :   get yourself a through examination by a gynecologist along with a vaginal swab test, PAP smear and an ultrasound scan, to find the exact cause
Doctor :   such that definitive treatment can be started soon.
Doctor :   based on the examination and investigation results.
User :   i tried to take a pap smear test a few months ago, but the doctor told me i was too young to have one, i am 18 years old.
Doctor :   it is ok to go ahead with the PAP smear since you are sexually active
Doctor :   PAP smear should be done once a year in all sexually active women
Doctor :   if the test comes negative or normal for 3 consecutive years, then it is repeated once in 3 years
Doctor :   so go ahead with one soon.
User :   oh, before i forget, i had the cramping during sex, but it was months ago, maybe a year ago. which my partner just reminded me about.
Doctor :   ok. how long did that episode last? is it the same time around now?
User :   well, from what i remembered, i think it lasted for like a week.
Doctor :   ok.
Doctor :   I would recommend you to go ahead with the tests as advised, the vaginal swab test, PAP smear and the ultrasound scan.
Doctor :   to see if it is due to cervical or a vaginal cause or a PID.
Doctor :   get started on treatment soon
Doctor :   if any infection or PID is revealed with the investigations,
Doctor :   get your partner also examined and both of you should take treatment simultaneously
Doctor :   to avoid chances of re-infection. avoid having unprotected intercourse.
Doctor :   while being on the treatment
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
User :   yes, also, my mother died from cervical cancer 5 years ago
Doctor :   then it is very much important for you to keep monitoring PAP Smear test every year
Doctor :   irrespective of the test being normal or not
User :   okay,
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   do you think that the cramps are due to some food that i ate that made me feel sick, nauseous, and bloated?
Doctor :   the cramps if due to food will also make you nauseous and you might have loose stools.
User :   i took 2 bites of some bad pizza back in vegas which the next morning began the symptoms.
Doctor :   and the cramps after intercourse will not be related to any food issues.
User :   oh. okay.
Doctor :   and the stomach discomfort will be in upper stomach more if it is due to food issues.
Doctor :   than being in the lower stomach.
User :   okay, thank you. i will go to the doctor as soon as possible.
Doctor :   is there anything else you would like to ask me?
User :   i break out into hives every now and then, and i was also wondering, what can i do to figure out what i am allergic to?
Doctor :   to figure out th exact cause for the allergy, you need to visit a dermatologist and request a test called as 'allergen patch testing'
Doctor :   it will test you on various environmental and food allergens
Doctor :   and tell you what substances you are allergic to
Doctor :   such that you can avoid them in future.
User :   oh, okay then. thank you very much! :)
Doctor :   and be away from the hives/allergic reaction.
Doctor :   is there anything else you would like to ask me?
User :   no, that would it all, thank you and have a good night. :)
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
User :   bye bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor