Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Cracks over penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   For 20 years I have had striations on one particular spot on the shaft of my penis just below the head. Sexual intercourse or the way it is stroked sometimes during masturbation. The striations almost look vertical cracks. There is no discharge. it is not painful otherwise. i have been tested for std's and it does not seem to be that. it does not itch or burn. urination is not affected and netither is ejaculation. Any ideas what the problem may be and what i can do to stop having this problem.
Doctor :   Hello
Doctor :   Dr. XXXx here
User :   hi
User :   i should add that i forgot to say that intercourse or masturbation is painful
Doctor :   Iam Dr XXXX here
Doctor :   give me one min
User :   ok
Doctor :   i will go thru your query
Doctor :   may i know your age please
User :   46
Doctor :   so its not painful at all the cracks ?
User :   no only during intercourse or sometimes masturbation
Doctor :   Is the area dry ?
User :   no
Doctor :   so the friction causes the pain ?
User :   the friction and or pulling the skin the wrong/right way
User :   lubrication helps prevent it sometimes
User :   but that does not solve, get rid of the striations they are ever present
Doctor :   I see
Doctor :   and have you shown it to any dermatologist ?
User :   i showed it a long time ago (15 years) to a urologist, he felt it was penile warts and actually did surgery to burn them off but just before surgery...
User :   he said it doesnt't look like warts but did the surgery any way but that didi not solve anything
Doctor :   Ok let me first try to explain you the possible causes of it
User :   and the research and pics i have seen on the internet in no way resemble warts
Doctor :   Breaks in the skin of the penis commonly result from irritation as a result of vigorous sexual activity or if there is not enough lubrication.
Doctor :   But there are other skin conditions too that can cause such tears
Doctor :   A skin disease known as lichen sclerosus et atrophicus (LSA) can also lead to cracked fissures in the penile skin.
Doctor :   that can be cause
Doctor :   But i strongly suggest that you need to see a dermatologist for this condition and not a urologist
Doctor :   as it looks more like a skin disease
User :   just to be clear these striations or cracks are engrained in the skin and not open that affect the integrity of the membrane, in other words they are not open cracks
Doctor :   ok i understood well and since you have already got your self tested for the STD so we can rule them out
User :   ok
User :   is there any topical cream i can try before seeing a dermatologist just to rule out certain skin issues first
Doctor :   And i think a antibiotic of topical nature will be able to solve your problem
Doctor :   i would not recomend you any over the counter medication for it as you have been having it for some time now
Doctor :   so it will be a waste
Doctor :   its better to get it examined and then the dermatologist can prescribe you a stronger medication
User :   ok i think that is it, unless there is anything else that u can think of
Doctor :   Well its more of a infection
Doctor :   nothing serious
User :   fungal?
Doctor :   could be
Doctor :   they will scrape a finding and see
Doctor :   and once its done you will be treated accordingly
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor