Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Concerned about the bone scan results - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
User :   Yes. I have had a bone scan and i don't understand the results. The report states that I had symmetrical distribution of tracer in the knees, lower legs, and feet with moderately ioncreased tracer uptake in teh distal medial right tibia. THE DELAYED films show a small focus of increased tracer uptake in the medial left femoral condyle and increased uptake in the right distal tibia near the tibiotalar joint. What dose this mean?
Doctor :   Let me read the query
User :   ok
Doctor :   Ok I have few questions for you today
User :   ok
Doctor :   What is your age, gender and occupation?
User :   Age 49. Female. School teacher
User :   Teacher/nurse
Doctor :   Why did you get the bone scan ?
Doctor :   What are you current symptoms?
Doctor :   Did you attain menopause?
Doctor :   Are you with me?
User :   bone pain that started rather abruptly - last week of July 2010 with no identifiable cause. the pain occurs in multiple joints but primarily my left knee and right ankle. It often limits my ability to usual activities. I have completely given up exercising which was a regular activity of mine. I also have periods of fatigue that occurr randomly.
User :   No menopause yet
Doctor :   Ok, the findings that you mentioned say about hot spots on bone scan
Doctor :   They represent greater blood flow to those areas
User :   ok
User :   so what are my possible options for diagnosis
Doctor :   The blood flow is due to infections or tumors or
Doctor :   that trigger a new bone forming
Doctor :   Unfortunately bone scans are not very specific examinations
Doctor :   they cannot distinguish exactly what disease process is causing an abnormality
User :   my recent blood work shows a normal CBC. Where do i go from here?
Doctor :   Actually a Nuclear medicine expert shall interpret the best out of bone scan and gives his report to the treating doctor / Orthopedician
Doctor :   So the best bet would be a referral to Orthopedician
User :   Ok. So i just have to wait for my next apt which is a month away. Do i need to worry?
User :   Should i be doing something now?
Doctor :   Follow up with your primary and get medicines
User :   What are your recommendations?
Doctor :   The pain should be treated till then
Doctor :   with hot packs, if the primary feels it is infectious in origin he shall put you on antibiotics
User :   What type of medicine. My pri usually doesn't see me for a visit but just prescribes over the phone.
Doctor :   without wasting time
Doctor :   The medicine that can help you is a pain medicine with low dose antibiotics for extended period of time
User :   ok. Any chance I should worry about cancer?
Doctor :   But he should not give them over phone but should get physical examination with
Doctor :   If I have to answer your question, then yes there is a chance. But my answer may not be perfect
Doctor :   without seeing you and the bone scan
User :   Ok. anything else i should know or be worried about?
Doctor :   As I said a nuclear medicine expert can interpret your scan better, you may want to take an opinion
Doctor :   here
User :   ok
User :   thanks
Doctor :   In case you would like you have to send a scanned copy
Doctor :   of the bone scan
Doctor :   Otherwise the exercise can be futile
User :   ok i can send a copy
Doctor :   Good please go to that link and put your query
Doctor :   to the Nuclear Medicine specialist
User :   ok thanks
Doctor :   Thank you
Doctor :   Have a great New Year ahead
Doctor :   Bye for now
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor