Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Concerned about gaining weight - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   hi im a 27 year old lad, and ive have open heart operation when i was 17 month old everything is well now and i have regular check ups but i need to mention this as i am trying to find out if i can take igf-1 the injection for growth of muscle im not a bodybuilder or want to be one i just want to put on some size and weight because i never really filled out im 5 ft 11 and weigh 10 stone and under that some times, ive spoke to a doctor about hgh injection before and he said it would be ok if i took the right dosage and not go over. will this be same with igf-1 will i be able to take this safely? if so what dosages are possible would you advise? thanks
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   please give me a few minutes
User :   ok no worrys
Doctor :   may i know what surgery was performed and what was the diagnosis , please ?
User :   it was a valve repair i had a hole not sure the trem for it as it is very long word
Doctor :   for your information, IGF-1 is a hormone similar in molecular structure to insulin.
Doctor :   its role in children is for tissue growth and
continues to have anabolic effects in adults.
Doctor :   mecasermin is the medication, which is a form of IGF -1 that is availble for clinical use
Doctor :   and it is used for the treatment of growth failure
Doctor :   in your case, your BMI measured from your height and weight is 19.5
Doctor :   and this is at normal level of weight
Doctor :   normal individuals have a BMI of 18 -25
Doctor :   to have a good health and physical performance, you can try to gain weight , to 11 or 12 stones
Doctor :   this you can do normally itself, by having high protein diet and physical exercise
Doctor :   since you dont seem to have any form of growth failure, the need for IGF-1 or mecasermin , would be less
Doctor :   do u have trouble eating ?
Doctor :   Have you had loss of appetite or loss of weight over time ?
User :   so is the igf-1 no use for me then the 11 to 12 stone is what i would like. i have read about the igf-1 and hgh for gaining more mass and if i was to take igf-1 would i be ok? well i dont eat much i have one big meal a day and snak because i dont feel hungry alot of the time
Doctor :   Yes , the hormones IGF -1 would not be helpful in your case , since you are completely normal
Doctor :   you need to know that the body produces the same in the required quantity for growth
Doctor :   but if you dont eat properly and do not supply the necessary rawmaterials to build your body, then IGF-1 supplements will also not be useful if given to you
Doctor :   to improve your hunger, you can take some appetite stimulants and enzyme supplments
User :   so all the hype about it putting on weight is not ture? so are you saying igf-1 would be dangerous? what appettie stimulants?
Doctor :   if u eat properly and a high protein diet and work out, then, yoiu will get your desired body withoiut the need for hormones
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   i hope you have understood my advice
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me here
Doctor :   take care and have a good day
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor