Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Concerned about a lump in the testicle - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Testicle Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   Hello, I would like to ask a question about a friend...he has been complaining abouta lump on his testicle for some time now. Earlier today a doctor he met did a quick examination at his job and told him he may have a cyst but thinks it is testicular cancer (no major exams were done, just a basic exam with his hands) my friends father had testicular cancer and now he is nervous. He also does not have any health insurance...what is his best option? the doctor who examinied him gave him his number and said he would cut him a deal doing a scan and further medical help... or should he just go to the hospital as he is in some pain. Thank you!
Doctor :   HI,
Doctor :   Let me read your query for few minutes to be able to have a good discussion here.
User :   No problem
Doctor :   i would consider the scan will ease the situation for now
Doctor :   it woud give a detailed insight into what problem it is and what it takes for the treatment
Doctor :   Examination alone cannot make sure of cancers
User :   my only reservation is i do not trust this doctor... he scared my friend without having any major proof... if he were to go to a hospital would they have the necessary equipment to do a scan?
Doctor :   yes,
Doctor :   a ULTRASOUND SCAN can help, its not too costly
User :   ok great, so the hospital wont refuse to see him if i offer to pay the bill?
Doctor :   not at al
User :   this same friend dealt with chlamydia and never had it treated properly... could the lump lso b a result of that?
Doctor :   yes,could be a possibility but rare
Doctor :   Are you there ?
User :   yes
User :   as a doctor would you have given the same diagnosis without any testing done?
Doctor :   no., there are many causes for a swelling in the scrotum.
Doctor :   it needs a scan to identify the swelling
Doctor :   and Isotope scans if the swelling shows any signs of cancer in the ultrasound
User :   ok so the first step is an untrasound... i can even go to a urologist for this? would my chances of having my friend get seen be better at a hospital or a urologist? I just dont know if you need a referal to be seen at a specialist
Doctor :   that would be better
Doctor :   you can consult a urologist before getting the scan done
Doctor :   Are you there ?
User :   ok i will consult with one but wether done at a hospital or private practice the cost will be roughly the same?
Doctor :   may be
User :   ok
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor