Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Concerned about High MCH value in blood - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Blood Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   I recently had a CBC done (first time in about 20 years) and the Profile came back with MCV and MCH above the normal range. I read online that these relate to B-12 and red blood cells and can indicate a deficiency. My reason for visiting the doctor is that I've had unusual weakness and fatique (I've also just turned 55, so . . .) But my 69-year-old husband runs rings around me. We are normally very active people, but I don't want to do ANYTHING anymore. So is this something I should ask my doctor about--she hasn't called with any indication of concern about the results.
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read your query
Doctor :   Ok
User :   ok what?
Doctor :   Thanks for the detail history
User :   and?
Doctor :   In case of deficiency there is always decreased values not raised
User :   So what does raised values mean?
Doctor :   But in case vitamin B12 deficiency there will be more of abnormal red cells formed which may pile up giving raised values
Doctor :   Can you mention your Haemoglobin values (Hb)
User :   HCB? 13.6
Doctor :   Yes
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   The most probable cause for raised MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is sickle cell anaemia
Doctor :   Where is there is red cell abnormality caused due to folic acid deficiency
Doctor :   Other causes could be B12 deficiecy but in that case HB values will be on the lower side
Doctor :   Considering your age i would stongly suggest you to start on Iron supplements and multivitamin supplements
User :   I doubt that I have sickle cell, so are you saying nothing to be concerned about?
Doctor :   Yes
Doctor :   And you can confirm sickle cell aneamia only by a peripheral smear of blood
Doctor :   We will can visualize the abnormal cells
User :   Ok. So it wouldn't hurt to take a B-complex and iron?
Doctor :   Yes, and i guess you have reached menoupause
User :   Not yet. Unless it just happened.
Doctor :   So there will be a gradual decrease in hormaone (progesterone) which causes genralised weakness and bone weakness too
Doctor :   So consider supplements
User :   Ok. I guess menopause kind of tires u even if you try to refuse to let it bother you?
Doctor :   See all needed is just change in life style
Doctor :   Like healthy food habits
Doctor :   regular sleep and supplements
Doctor :   I would also suggest regular check ups once in 2 years
User :   I have a very healthy diet. Just feel too weak to exercise anymore.
Doctor :   I meant moderate like walking or jogging
User :   That and lots of yard work are my normal exercise.
Doctor :   Calcium will be a necessity for your age as due to hormone shortage there occurs demeineralization of bones
User :   OK. so take vitamins and exercise. Got it.
Doctor :   And atleast moderate excercise for a 1 hour atleast
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor