Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Cold and yellowish nasal discharge for a child - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Please proceed with your query.
User :   Hello Doctor
Doctor :   Ok
User :   i have a 6 year old son, he has cold and slightly blocked nose
User :   normally my doctor prescribes him dilosyn or dilo-dx
User :   what is the difference between the two
User :   and what do i give him now
Doctor :   Both the medications are for cold, while dilosyn is a antihistaminic for cold only while dilo- dx contains medications for cough along with cold.
Doctor :   From when did he develop cold and blocked nose?
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   May I know the colour of the mucus?
Doctor :   Ok
User :   last 2 days
User :   no cough
User :   only cold and blocked nose
Doctor :   Ok
User :   now his nose seems to be blocked a little more
Doctor :   Does he have fever or any other associated symptoms?
User :   mostly colourless, very rarely has a slight whitish/yellowish tinge
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Ok
User :   no doctor
User :   he is normal and active...
Doctor :   As he has slight yellow tinge in his mucus, it could be that he might be having superadded bacterial infection.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Is he feeding normally as before?
User :   nose is more blocked in the evenings
User :   he had slightly disturbed sleep yesterday as his nose was blocked
Doctor :   Ok
User :   ok
Doctor :   Then you can continue with dilosyn syp for now.
User :   he is normally fussy, so it is the same ...
Doctor :   And keep him covered with warm clothes.
User :   ok thank you doctor
Doctor :   Please make sure that his feeding position is right as thought earlier.
User :   since his paediatrician is not in town, i thought i'l use this service, than take him to a new doctor
Doctor :   that is to keep him tilted with the head high as this could lead to his ear infection.
User :   thanks a lot for patiently answering my questions
Doctor :   Then you can give him steam inhalation.
Doctor :   Ask him to drink only boiled water.
User :   no problem doctor
Doctor :   It seems that this could be due to viral infection commonly know as flu or common cold.
User :   shall i give him 3ml dilosyn morning and nights for 3 days and see
User :   else will take him to a doctor
Doctor :   so this would reduce with dilosyn.
User :   ok doctor
Doctor :   And observe him for 3 days and see for any improvement.
User :   ok
User :   ok
Doctor :   If his mucus turns into yellow that means he has bacterial infection and he would need an antibiotic course.
User :   ok
Doctor :   For this you would need to see his doctor.
Doctor :   Till then you can give him boiled water, steam inhalation and salt water gargling.
User :   Thanks again doctor
User :   oh ok
Doctor :   these would help him in reducing his symptoms.
User :   ok sure
Doctor :   Did you follow my suggestions?
Doctor :   Are there any more queries for me to help you with?
User :   ok
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Take care
User :   yes doctor
Doctor :   Pleasure is mine.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
Doctor :   Good night.
User :   no doctor
User :   and thanks for the consultation doctor
User :   sure. good night
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor