Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Clicking sound in ear, while yawning - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   often I hear a ringing in my ears when there are no external noises. Often when I speak or yawn I hear a clicking in my ears. Sometimes if I exercise I feel like my ears are plugging up. What is wrong?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   may i know your age ?
User :   25
Doctor :   all this is from how many days ?
User :   if you mean how long has this been occurring then I would say I only noticed it a few months ago
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   did you sufer from any infection of the ear ?
User :   I am not sure, about a year ago I was told that I had something called "Labrynthitis", is that an infection?
Doctor :   yes it is the infection of the inner year
Doctor :   Ear*
User :   seemed like an evasive diagnosis, at the time I had EKG and blood sugar done which were both normal
Doctor :   ok

Doctor :   this ringing sound and the click on yawning are due to the labrynthitis you suffered a year ago

Doctor :   the ringing sound is called tinitius in medical terms
Doctor :   is it very troublesome in dayto day activity ?
User :   it's not troublesome, I really only notice it when I'm trying to sleep at night
User :   the ringing at least
User :   the clicking i notice all the time and do my best to ignore
User :   I would not call it debilitating in any way, just causes some anxiety
Doctor :   ok
User :   a few days before the incident a year ago I woke up and my right ear was completely blocked up, then I had a dizzy spell
User :   went to ER and they diagnosed it as "labrynthitis" which I had never heard of
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   this tinnitus and click are the sequale of the labrynthitis suffered and as such they are harmless
Doctor :   if it is not causing any disturbance in day to day activity it can be ignored and over a period of time it will disappear
User :   ok, i was concerned for a while that I had a brain tumor or something but I dont seem to have any real symptoms and have not had an MRI or anything so i decided that was unlikely
User :   I had an MRI about eight years ago for an unrelated issue
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   no it is very much unlikely that you have a brain tumor.
Doctor :   tinnitus usually affects for quite long time, you can get an audimetry test done to know if there is any impairment for the few frequency of hearing
Doctor :   consult an ENT specalist for this.
User :   i have also noticed a generalized tremor that began around the same time, is this possibly related
Doctor :   generalised tremor means ?
User :   just like feeling a little shaky
Doctor :   do you have associated increase in heart beat and sweatingg during that period of tremor
User :   maybe a bit of a stronger pulse, not sweating i would not say
User :   I am thin so my pulse might be more noticeable
Doctor :   no it is not related to the tinnitus

User :   ok
Doctor :   consult an ent specalist and get an Audiometry test done and if it does not have any inpairment in the hearing than no theatment is required for teh tinnitus
User :   ok
User :   thanks
Doctor :   thanks for consulting health care magic
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor