Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Circular patches on the scalp and fungal infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
User :   i am noticing a few round patches on my scalp of scaly skin. Doesn't look like dandruff, but maybe it is. I first noticed after a hair cut and my cutter said it was a fungus as it was circular and to use vinegar or something to dry it up. I notice a few more on my scalp. doesn't itch or hurt but it looks like it is thinning my hair in those areas.. Thoughts?
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. here
Doctor :   how may i help you ?
User :   well, if you can shed some light on the skin patches and any over the counter methods to try?
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please
User :   36 male
Doctor :   and can you tell me the condition in detail please ?
Doctor :   is there any redness ?
User :   On my scalp, i am finding round patches of scaly, flaky skin. doesn't itch or burn or hurt. Don't believe it's dandruff, but could be. It sheds. I was told to use vinegar to dry it out as someone said it was a fungus. I have heard to try dandruff shampoo, vaseline, etc. It appears it may be thinning my hair or the vinegar is..
Doctor :   are the patches silver scaly ?
User :   on some they are red. Others no.
User :   silver? Don't really know how to tell.
Doctor :   are they confined to only your scalp or any other area of your body
User :   just my scalp
Doctor :   i mean does it have a shine
User :   don't think so
Doctor :   do you smoke or consume alcohol ?
User :   no smoke. Drink yes
Doctor :   since when have you noticed the patches ?
Doctor :   have they been growing in size ?
User :   few months now. my hair cutter first noticed it. That patch is gone but others are around. I believe they are new and spreading.
Doctor :   well it does look like a fungal infection , and for that you would be put on a antibiotic course
Doctor :   and you need to show it to a dermatologist so that the right medications can be prescribed to you
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor