Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Chronic mastoiditis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2570 Questions

Doctor :   hi
Doctor :  
how can i help you?
User :   Hi,
User :   My Father is suffering from Loss of hearing and has had discharge from his ear for the past few years. We went to see two doctors and one suggested an operation while the other said that he can be treated with medicines. I looked up wiki for info and it does say that it can be treated by medicines.

My concern is he is suffering from hearing loss already and if medicines dont work, the condition might worsen. On the other hand,if we go with the operation, would it be safe?
Doctor :  
User :   The Xray gave the impression as: Chronic Mastoiditis
Doctor :  
what is the diagnosis made for your father for which the operation is suggested?
User :   Chronic Mastoiditis
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
chronic mastoiditis can be very much treated with medicines and with surgery
Doctor :  
surgery has better results with almost 0.1-1% recurrence chances
Doctor :  
medications will just be for the treatment of th ecurrent episode
Doctor :  
with recurrences happening many times

User :   thanks
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor