Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Child having a dark skin below the waist compared to face and hand. Underlying cause? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 03-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
User:Hello Doctor
Doctor:How can I help you/
User:My query is that i have a son who is 10 months old and his skin is dark from below the waist. He is a premature baby born in the 7th month. I am using XXXXXXX baby lotion and powder. Also i use Candid powder near his genetail arear to avoid rash. Is it because of the powder the skin is dark?
User:His hand, Face is white in colour
Doctor:There are few medical products which help in lightening the skin, but I would advice it to be used in a 10 month old kid.
Doctor:The reason for darkening can be due to allergic causes or sun exposure.
User:But he hardly leaves the house and has no allergies as such
Doctor:May I know if there are dark patches or the entire lower limb below the waist is darkened?
User:the entire below waist is darkened
User:specially his genetial arear
User:genital arear
Doctor:I am not aware of any organic medical condition which cause whole of the body below the waist line darkening.
User:ok but it cant be because of powder we use??
Doctor:Darkening over the genitalia/groin could be due to perspiration, fungal rashes or due to conditions like acanthosis nigra
Doctor:It is unlikely that the powder causes darkening.
User:but he has no rashes
Doctor:I understand your concern, but without a clear examination of the skinn
User:also may be because he is in nappy with nappy pads the skin there is dark
Doctor:it is difficult to predict the cause of these darkening.
Doctor:Nappy rashes can be responsible for skin changes, but
Doctor:they are not expected to spread to the entire legs and below the waist.
User:ok so i will show him to the skin doctor.
Doctor:If you've notice a clear differentiation between 2 parts of the body, i would suggest you to consult a dermatologist
Doctor:I apologize for not being much help here.
User:Yes ok i will take him to the dermatologist.Thanks for your advice
Doctor:Is there any other concern that you wish to discuss?
User:no thank you
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor