Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Causes of rashes on the limbs of a child - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Good Posted in: Skin Rash
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   Hi,
I have taken my three year old son to the doctors, three times now and we cannot figure out what the rash is on his hands, lower arms and elbows, it is also slightly on his cheeks.
We have treated him for exzema and scabies, he has also been on antibiotics for the last week and a half. not much seems to work. I use soap free QV wash when he baths as he has previously had really bad dry exzema. the rash is dry, raised and red, it looks like he has been bitten by mosquitos a hundred times.
What else could be wrong?
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   I am Dr. xxxxx
Doctor :   How can I assist you today?
User :   my son has a rash i cannot get rid of
Doctor :   How old is your son?
User :   he has been treated for exzema, and scabies and he has been on anti biotics for a week and a half
User :   he is 3
Doctor :   Where is the rash?
Doctor :   Can you describe the rash?
Doctor :   Does it itch?
User :   the rash is only on his hands, lower arms, and elbows and slightly on his left cheek
User :   yes it does itch
User :   it looks like he has been bitten by a mosquito 100's of times
Doctor :   Are there any weeping lesions?
User :   only when he scraches them and they bleed other wise it is quite dry
Doctor :   OK
Doctor :   How long is the rash?
User :   he has had it for around a month not
Doctor :   What treatmet was given?
User :   now*
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   *treatment
User :   he had a cortic cream, a scabies treatment and he is on 5ml 3 times a day of cephalexin
Doctor :   cephalexin was given to treat or prevent infection
Doctor :   cortic was given was eczema
Doctor :   I do not think it is a scabies
User :   prevent infection, he had scratched it
User :   he has always had very sensitive skin from birth
Doctor :   Scratching will introduce bacteria into the rash and cause infection. It makes rash worse.
Doctor :   From the description, it could be Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis
Doctor :   The typical rash on elbow, hands and face is consistent with Eczema
User :   so what is the treatment for that?
Doctor :   Treatment depends on the seriousness of the rash
Doctor :   If the rash is only dry and no weeping lesions, you do not have to use cortin
Doctor :   It needs very good skin care for dry Eczema
User :   so i guess i should get him back to our local gp
Doctor :   Yes that is one option if you think the rash is severe
Doctor :   Here I am giving general instructions
User :   so what can i immediately do for him?
Doctor :   If the rash is only dry and no weeping lesions, you do not have to use cortin. It needs very good skin care for dry Eczema. Give very mild like warm water baths. Do not give bath for long period of time. Maximum you can spend 5-10 minutes in bathing. After the bath, do not wipe. Pet it dry with soft towel. After that apply mosturiser from top to bottom . You can apply 3 times a day.
User :   ok, thankyou very much
Doctor :   Please understand that it is a chronic problem for some time.
Doctor :   Many children grow out of it. They may not have the rash when they grow.
User :   can i also ask you a question about me too, or do you only asnwer questions about children?
Doctor :   Howevr apply cortin if there are weeping, wet lesions
Doctor :   Sure.
User :   ok, i definetaly will
User :   ever since i had my 3 year old, I have had a small discharge out of my lefy nipple
Doctor :   You can give Benadryl 1/2 tea spoon 2 day tpoprevent itching
User :   i never really though much of it but yesterday it was around a teaspoon full and it was white and thick like yoghurt and flour mixed
User :   the end of it was quite pink, and my breast it very tender and my nipple has stayed erect since yesterday
User :   i cannot feel any lumps
Doctor :   When you do not pump your breast, milk will accumulate in glands
User :   for three years after?
User :   it is now weeping a clear yellowish liquid
Doctor :   It could happen. It is normal.
Doctor :   As long as there are no weeping lesions, and signs of infections, you do no need any antibiotics.
Doctor :   Apply warm compresses on breast(nipple)
Doctor :   How long you have this?
User :   it discharged a very small amount over the last three years and the large amount was yesterday and it have been weeping since last night
Doctor :   Are you still breast feeding?
User :   i breast fed my son for 4 days so i have not for over 3 years
User :   my breast also looks a slight bit swollen
Doctor :   II want to make the point clear, are you breast feeding now.
User :   no
Doctor :   OK
Doctor :   When did stop breast feeding?
User :   three years ago
Doctor :   In order to know the cause of discharge you need some investigations. TSH, Prolactin
Doctor :   Excess Prolactin will cause nipple discharge
Doctor :   I recommend you consult your Gynecologist and have these tests done.
User :   ok
Doctor :   If there is abnormally elevated, Prolactin, there are medicine to decrease the levels.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Initially I thought you were feeding and I was in wrong impression.
User :   lol
Doctor :   But now you need tests and physical examination and advice from Gynecologist.
Doctor :   Believe me some people breast feed for 2-3 years.
Doctor :   But now you need tests and physical examination and advice from Gynecologist.
User :   ok i will get on to that this week thank you for your time and advice, it is very much appreciated.
Doctor :   Did I answer your querries?
User :   yes, very much so
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting
User :   thank you again
Doctor :   Bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor