Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Causes for frequent Prostatitis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Men Sexual Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   My husband has been diagnosed with prostatitis. He has been on antibiotics for 4 months. Every time we have sex and use a condom things are fine. If we don't use anything with in a few hours he is miserable. I have also been checked by my doctor and they say nothing is wrong with me.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Not to worry, May I ask you a few questions to help you better.
User :   yes
Doctor :   May I know the age of your husband ?
User :   42
Doctor :   May I know if his Prostate gland is hypertrophied or normal ?
User :   I'm not sure. I don't think his doctor said anything about it not being normal
Doctor :   Each of the following reasons is the potential cause for frequent Prostatitis : Bacterial infection,
Auto-immune response or disordered immune response,
Neuromuscular, tension or physical injury problem
Additional possible causes: a uric acid disorder,
prostate stones,
a urethral stricture,
a rare tumor,
prostate cancer,
benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, non-cancerous growth of the prostate),
a food allergy,
a yeast infestation,
a specific yeast problem from the Genus Candida,
or a virus.
User :   what is the reason that it soesn't bother him if we use a condom but if we don't he hurts. It seems like it must be something from me
Doctor :   He must be investigated upon for his frequent Prostate gland infection - on the Prostate gland .
User :   is it possible he has an allergy to me
Doctor :   It might be you may have some infection, or it may be a natural flora to you which may cause infection in him.
Doctor :   Something like yeast, e.coli or any bacteria.
User :   if its me causing the infection is there anything we can do to help. my dr says I don't have an infection
Doctor :   Yes you can undergo a small test from both of you people : Doctor :   1. Urine routine , culture & sensitivity for you
Doctor :   2. Same repeat test for your husband.
Doctor :   3. Vaginal Swab culture & sensitivity
User :   do we have to see the urologist for these or just our family dr
Doctor :   Urologist may further recommend these tests for your husband : Urethral swab
Voided urine
Expressed prostatic secretions (preferable) or post prostate massage urine
User :   I don't have any symptoms of a yeast infection but when he had allergy testing done years ago they said he had an allergy to yeast. Would it help to know if thats the problem if I treated myself for a yeast infection
Doctor :   4.Urethral swab5.Voided urine6.Expressed prostatic secretions (preferable) or post prostate massage urine
Doctor :   Yes that would be the best thing to be done.
User :   should he be treated for one to
Doctor :   Yes , initially till you are without it , he may prescribe Clotrimazole cream and one tab.
User :   is that something from the dr or over the counter
Doctor :   Ointment is over the counter , but the tablet is Prescription drug.
User :   How long after treating both of us should we wait to have sex
Doctor :   Hardly 15 days unprotective , protective even today you can go ahead.
Doctor :   2 weeks is the usual time.
Doctor :   Thank you for ocnsulting me, take care, bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor