Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Cause of skin irritation on penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Men's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi, ma
User :   hi
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   please proceed with your health query
User :   what are you a specialist of?
Doctor :   I am a General practitioner.
Doctor :   I believe I can help you within my expertise and If required I shall recommend a specialist.
User : question...
Doctor :   yes, please proceed
User :   can herpes come right after sex, as skin irritation
User :   red splotches
Doctor :   it can present as skin irritation in few cases, more often it is yeast infection or chlamydia and gonorrhea that causes irritation after having intercourse if infection is passed on.
User :   seem to get them on my penis, when ever there is physical contact...touching, sex, and masturbation, seems to get worse when drinking
Doctor :   ok. is there itching and burning associated? is there redness associated?
User :   yep
User :   all
User :   been having this problem for over 8months now
Doctor :   ok. it suggests presence of infection. is there any fouls smelling discharge associated?
User :   and the rash is more there then not
Doctor :   do you have any discomfort/irritation while ejaculation?
User :   would that only be at the beginning of the infection?
User :   no really, just skin might burn a little from rubbing
Doctor :   no, since 8 months are up, it suggests chronic problem
User :   i think its ironic this started happening on my penis, right after sleeping with a girl...unprotected sex
Doctor :   you should not delay your appointment with urologist to see what is going on.
User :   what does that mean
Doctor :   you will need to a STD screening test
Doctor :   to identify which infection is present
Doctor :   and start with treatment based on the test results.
Doctor :   unprotected sex with unknown person, can lead to any of the STD, ranging from Herpes, syphilis to chlamydia, gonorrhea etc.
User :   i seen multiple doctors....they think is eczema or psoriasis
Doctor :   is there dry skin or flaking of skin associated?
User :   all are negative, except i tested positive for herpes about 4 years ago on my forhead of all places
Doctor :   long duration of the infection can give it a eczema like appearance. but the STD screening test will confirm what the exact cause is.
User :   so now its would be hard to tell if this infection is from that....via a blood test
Doctor :   ok. are you on treatment for Herpes?
User :   no
Doctor :   but the test will atleast identify if the present problems that you face is due to Herpes or any other infection
Doctor :   and help to decide the right treatment to control your symptoms
Doctor :   if infection is found, then you should avoid unprotected intercourse, and get your partner also treated simultaneously to avoid chances of re-infection.
User :   what type of text would i do?
Doctor :   you can request for a complete STD screening which will involve testing for all the infections
Doctor :   have you followed what I said?
User :   i have done this, except for herpes
User :   blood test
Doctor :   when was it done? and what did the result show?
User :   negative
Doctor :   did it identify anything else except Herpes?
User :   positive for HSV 1
Doctor :   were tests for yeast infection/psoriasis done?
User :   not yeast do you conduct these test?
User :   or psoriasis
Doctor :   the tests for yest and psoriasis are done by taking skin scrapings and testing them.
Doctor :   it is not done by blood tests.
Doctor :   sometimes swab is taken from the affected area and tested to identify the causative organism.
Doctor :   are you there?
User :   also the rash on my penis started out as a red patch and the veins seemed little irritated, that was hard to see if you expand / stretch the skin...not it seems like it is more red all over like irritation....Also, now i get little red veins on my nose...and small red patches as well
User :   ok i will try and have this done
Doctor :   ok
User :   changes i have noticed over the last 6 months as well, itching of my anus, nipples, and lower lip, and nose
Doctor :   ok. is the itching associated with dryness? or redness or rash?
User :   Also, i had not let my girl give me oral sex in a while then...she did because i thought I was ok... but i think she got a rash under her lip...and then i started to get a rash right under my lip....
User :   people dont really notice it, but i seem too
Doctor :   ok. then the problem could be related to the HERPES or HSV-1, with the infection flaring up after intercourse.
User :   she said she did not really see anything different, maybe i am just crazy....and trying to connect the dots
User :   on my nipple yes...they will flare up red
Doctor :   ok
User :   but this was happening before all the penis stuff,
Doctor :   ok
User :   penis started right after having unprotected sex
Doctor :   ok
User :   I thought herpes takes a few days to develop, did not know it can flare up right after sex
User :   i have had it on my head, thought it would act the same
User :   could this be associated with the rash under my lip
Doctor :   if the infection was present since before the intercourse, then it can flare up right after the intercourse
User :   seems like my eyes are always itching, burning too, could this be associated?
Doctor :   you need to be examined to see if all the rashes appear the same before any correlation can be made between them..
Doctor :   once examination is over, then your symptoms can be correlated to see if they are related.
User :   is it possible this just stays around, and does not really go away....?
Doctor :   it will stay on if there is no active treatment.
Doctor :   you need to be on treatment. to have a control over the infection load and the symptoms.
User :   herpes
Doctor :   Herpes usually stays on and gets flared if you are not on treatment and have unprotected sexual activities.
User :   ok, what would be the best treatment method
Doctor :   treatment would depend on your load of infection, if it is more, you will need aggressive traetment
Doctor :   to control it.
Doctor :   also, possibilities of other infections should be ruled out.
Doctor :   and if any other infection is found. then that too should be treated
Doctor :   along with with treating your partner
User :   like medication?
User :   could this be hpv related?
Doctor :   nothing can be said with accuracy unless proven with tests. your symptoms suggest flare up of herpes and secondary infection.
Doctor :   get a thorough examination along with the tests done.
Doctor :   to see what is exactly causing you these symptoms.
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
User :   yep...
User :   so can i spred it to my eyes and other people by touching it?
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   if it is herpes, can i pass it to other people and me, by touching it, then touching them?
Doctor :   yes you can pass on the infection to anyone be it herpes or any other infection.
User :   just by touch?
User :   wow
User :   ok
Doctor :   contact with private parts, and exchange of body fluids or tranfer of secretions can cause infection
Doctor :   if you touch your affected areas and touch another person, you may transmit the infection
User :   u there
User :   ok
User :   thanks for the info...i will try and get the right treatment.
Doctor :   so get your causative agent identified by going ahead with examination and further investigations.
Doctor :   and start on treatment.
User :   will do
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor