Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Cause of infection on the skin of the penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 675 Questions
User :   I have a question regarding what seems to be an infection on the skin of my penis
Doctor :   Hello.
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Proceed with your query.
User :   I am a 43 year old uncircumcised male and am having this problem for the second time, within about 1 year. It started one day as an itchy patch almost with little blisters on the outside skin of my penis, around halfway down the shaft, about 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 long and overnight became swollen, elevated and the blisters turned dark red and look almost like scabs. The last time I had this, I put neosporin on it, which helped it and made it go away after a while. Unless it simply went away by itself, but as a side effect it tightened my foreskin at that part of the penis and can be a little painful when having an erection. I didn't worry too much the first time, especially since I haven't been sexually active in quiet a while, but having it again and at the same spot is making me nervous now. I also think that my glands are a little swollen. Any advice would be gladly appreciated!
Doctor :   Let me read your query.
Doctor :   Do you have a blisters this time also?
User :   it started as something taht could have been little blisters. The area was a red patch with little tiny bumps or pimples on them
Doctor :   How many are there?
User :   I noticed at night and went to sleep, think it might just be an irritation and the next morning oit looked completely different
Doctor :   bumps/ pimples?
User :   maybe seven or eight
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Are they painful?
User :   more itchy than anything unless it gets in contact with soap, or even water
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   but it is swollen, so there is some uncomfort
Doctor :   This there any circular, scaly lesion?
User :   sorry, I am german...and am not 100 % sure what that means
Doctor :   i meant are there any circular, scaly lesion present on the penis?
User :   one second
User :   what is a lesion
Doctor :   patch like thing?
User :   ok, now, nothing is scaly
User :   it's more like little craters with scabs on them
User :   7 - 8 all next to each other
Doctor :   Can you send a picture of it to YYYY@YYYY ?
User :   in one patch that is irritated and raised
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   I could
User :   this is private
Doctor :   Yes.
User :   one moment
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   while I try to upload this, any point in giving me an idea of what it could be?
Doctor :   It looks like a skin infection.
Doctor :   but i have to see the picture to come to any conclusion.
Doctor :   Have you sent it?
User :   ok. For some reason I can't find the cable to connect the camrea to the computer. I will send a poicture I took with my phone, but I am not sure if the quality is good enough. I will keep looking for the cabel. Picture is coming through now
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   did you get it?
Doctor :   I'll check on it.
Doctor :   Do you have a burning sensation or pain with urination?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   if that picture is good enough let me know and I can stop searching for the cable...I think it's vanished
Doctor :   Its fine
User :   thanks
Doctor :   Do you any discharge from penis?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Have you taken any medication for it?
User :   no, I have only put a little neosporin ointment on it
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Is there any improvement?
User :   I think so
User :   hard to tell
User :   I went swimming in the ocean...salt water yesterday and it seemed to help
Doctor :   How many days has it been.
User :   three days
Doctor :   Use it for another 2 to 3 days.
Doctor :   If there is no improvement.
Doctor :   You can consult a dermatologist/GP for further assistance.
User :   as mentioned before, I used neosporin the last time and it seemed to have tightened my foreskin (i am uncircumcized), so it's a little irritateing when I have an errection, and if this time it has the same effect, It will be a problem
User :   any other recommendation of something that might help?
User :   and from looking at it, what do you think it might be?
Doctor :   You can use neosporin
User :   also, is this something contagious?
Doctor :   for now.
Doctor :   If there are no improvement, we
Doctor :   can put you on oral anti biotic.
Doctor :   It is probably contagious.
User :   so what do you think it could be?
Doctor :   It is probably a superficial skin infection.
User :   caused by what?
User :   and why would that be contagious..and how?
Doctor :   Is looks like a bacterial infection.
Doctor :   When was your last sexual intercourse?
User :   probably a year ago
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   it really could be anything sexually related, unless it dates back years
User :   and is now coming out
Doctor :   Very unlikely .
User :   do you think it could be herpes?
Doctor :   Herpes are painful ulcer.
User :   ok, sorry to keep asking, but how could I have gotten a bacterial infection then?
Doctor :   Under garments .
Doctor :   Water.
User :   ok
User :   sorry, I am back for a little more
Doctor :   Please proceed.
User :   how is it contagious...should I not go into the pool
Doctor :   Yes.
Doctor :   It will spread by physical contact.
Doctor :   It can also be spread by using the same pool.
User :   ok
User :   any other point ment that you think might help besides from Neosporin
User :   how many times should I put it on, and can I transmit it onto other areas of my own body
Doctor :   If the Neosporin is not helping, then you have to be put on oral antibiotic.
Doctor :   Use the Neosporin 3 to 4 times a day.
Doctor :   If possible wear aseptic gloves while application.
User :   any oral antibiotic that is over the counter
Doctor :   No.
User :   and this could have happened anywhere and to anybody..
Doctor :   Yes.
Doctor :   Is it present only in one location?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   but it happened for the second time one year or more a part and at the same exact spot
Doctor :   Last time did you consult a doctor in this regard?
User :   no, because it went away very quickly, and also I didn't have health insurance
User :   I do now
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   but penis issues are always a bit hard to go see a doctor about
User :   for me at least
Doctor :   There is nothing to worry about.
User :   should I stay away from soap..or at least parfumed
Doctor :   Lots for people do suffer from such problems.
Doctor :   That is not required.
User :   ok...thank you very much..I will give it a couple of more days
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting healthcaremagic
Doctor :   bye for now.
User :   bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor