Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Cause of increased frequency of urine - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 675 Questions
User :   i have frequent urination
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   please describe your symptom in detail
User :   I am 45 years old have frequent urination f(atleast once every hour) which started aboput 2 weeks ago. i have already completed all exams including urine analysis, culture. I also got checked for Prostate through ultra sound and got blood sample for diabetes which is also -ve. Initially, i was prescribed Norflox 400mg thiniking it was UTI.
Doctor :   ok. after starting on medications did you feel any improvment?
Doctor :   is there any family history of diabetes?
User : dad is diabetic, but like i mentioned, i keep checking regularly and my sugar post brandial is around 100 and fasting is around 80.
Doctor :   do you have any other symptoms associated with your frequent urination?
User :   Not much. I also want to get tested for STD to make sure it is not because of that.
Doctor :   ok. please describe your other symptoms in detail. it will help to decide if you need STD testing .
User :   There is no other symptom. It's just frequent burning or pain.
Doctor :   ok. how did the symptoms start? was there any incident that precipitated your current symptoms?
User :   None. It just started happening about 2 weeks ago.
Doctor :   ok. did the culture report also came back negative?
User :   Yes.
Doctor :   how much water do you drink per day?
User :   about 2 to 2.5L
Doctor :   ok. then I would suspect possibility of cystitis in your case which is difficult to diagnose with the regular tests that you have already underwent
Doctor :   i would recommend you to visit a urologist, and discuss about getting a cystoscopy done to rule out/confirm the cystitis
Doctor :   if cystitis is found to be present, then you might need higher antibiotics given intravenously to tackle the problem
Doctor :   continue to drink about 2.5-3 L of water per day
Doctor :   avoid spicy and oily food, have fruit juices, preferably citric fruit juice or cranberry juice
User :   I did consult a urologist and after looking at my ultrasound and x-ray reports, he ruled out cystoscopy. However, he has recommended 2 medications - trofame xr and urimax
Doctor :   ok. did he start you on them?
User :   He has given me the prescription I am yet to start. But i wanted to rule out STI since i had sex about 2 months ago which was not my partner
Doctor :   ok. then get started on the prescription given, they are alkanizers
Doctor :   to help you with the control of frequency of urination.
Doctor :   and in the meantime get a STD screening test done to see if any STD is present
Doctor :   STD symptoms would include itching discharge from penis, rashes, swollen lymph nodes etc.
User :   I don't have any of those symptoms. How and what tests do i need for STD
Doctor :   you will need to request for a full STD screening test
Doctor :   it consists of blood tests and semen tests to look for infections transmitted via sexual route
User :   OK..Thanks
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   No, thanks for your time.
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor