Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Cause of discomfort and pain around liver - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   I have a scan result showing a dilated common bile duct that is 1.7 that very large and what is the normal size it should be and what are the causes of dilation?
Doctor :   hi
User :   hi
User :   I also have a 7 mm lesion in the posterlateral liver....likely a hemangima or cyst
Doctor :   ok. what symptoms are you having at present?
User :   i get some discomfort and pain around the liver area
Doctor :   are your liver function tests normal?
Doctor :   please provide your age
User :   i have had a mrcp a few days ago and am awaiting an ercp
Doctor :   the measurement varies from age to age
User :   i am 45
Doctor :   ranging from 4-12 mm outer diameters
User :   ok so that is then 17 mm right?
Doctor :   it is dilated
Doctor :   and the cause for this should be looked for
Doctor :   to correct it
User :   can a systemic illness maybe cause a inflammation there? yes it is dilated
Doctor :   no, usually systemic infections wil not cause it to be dilated
Doctor :   it will more of a local cause
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor