Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Cause and remedy for constant soreness and itching over vagina - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3621 Questions
User :   Is constant soreness and itching around clitoris and vaginal area anything to be worried about. I have tried using cuatroderm on a regular basis, which does help, but it just won't go away. When I use the loo the urine gets into the sore area and it is quite painful. I have had antibiotics in the past but nothing makes it go away. Should I go to a doctor again?
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr XXX here
Doctor :   give me min please
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   may i know your age please
User :   I am 64 years of age
Doctor :   since hoe long you have been noticing this problem ?
Doctor :   have you noticed any discharge ?
User :   although it has got much worse recently, I would say I have had the problem for 3/4 years on and off but now it seems constant.
User :   no discharge
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   now do you have anyother medical problems ?
Doctor :   or taking any medications for anything else ?
User :   I don't appear to have any other problem, I am overweight and have been taking zenical for a couple of months.,
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   it does look like 2 possibilities in your case
Doctor :   both of them are very common
Doctor :   one being yeast infection and the other a urinary track infection
Doctor :   it is of infectious nature
Doctor :   and both can be treated with complete dose of antibiotics
Doctor :   see with age body has low immunity levels, it is very easy to succumb to such conditions where the organisms grow faster causing the infection. Therefore, it is not uncommon to suffer from a infection. It is best to take precautionary measures to prevent infections. In order to prevent infection when you should follow a healthy diet and drink plenty of fruit juices and other liquids
Doctor :   A diet that contains plenty of buttermilk or unsweetened yogurt will also help to prevent infections as they contain probiotic or healthy bacteria that prevent unhealthy fungus and yeast from spreading.
Doctor :   Make sure that you follow your entire course of medication or else you could get a relapse which will weaken you further and leave you vulnerable
Doctor :   do the following
Doctor :   A few drops of tea tree oil poured on a tampon and inserted in the vagina can provide some relief. It is important to dilute the oil before using it as tea tree oil is extremely potent and can cause inflammation if it is used in its undiluted form.
Doctor :   Tea tree oil can be diluted by mixing a few drops of this oil along with a teaspoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil.
User :   my GP says this too, antibiotics have helped in the past but at the end of the course it just returns again, I am worried that it won't go away and what other treatments I could possibly try, it is taking over my daily like. I do understand about the yoghurts etc. I eat plenty of fruit (this can cause me problems)
Doctor :   well the main aim is to make your body strong
Doctor :   to fight the infection
Doctor :   eat healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables, as always. Avoid processed foods as far as possible and avoid refined flour and refined sugar products completely. These foods can aggravate the yeast infection symptoms and can even cause the infection to spread. Drink plenty of water throughout the day as this will help to flush out the urinary tract and help to control the spread of the yeast infection. A diet for yeast infection should also contain plenty of vegetable juices as this will help to boost immunity levels and help you fight off the infection.
Doctor :   and yes please DO see and get a urine test done
Doctor :   thats important
User :   I will try the tea-tree oil and I will make an appointment for another urine test and perhaps see the GP again. I am worried that is something more sinister though.
Doctor :   no its just a infection
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor