Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Can pain in fingers upto the shoulders be symptom of Guyon Canal Syndrome? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 25-Mar-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1542 Questions
I have been working on computers since last 16 years. Presently I am having severe pain on my right hand from the little and ring finger upto the shoulders. I understand it could be the Guyon Canal Syndrome.

Kindly advise how I can recover from this concern.

Thanking you.

With regards
Doctor:Is this your current concern?
User:Yes it is.
Doctor:all right
Doctor:please give me a minute to read it
Doctor:I have read your query
Doctor:yes, it is possible to be Guyon Canal Syndrome
Doctor:for the acute severe pain now, you need analgesics
Doctor:A would suggest quick relief medicines like Hifenac MR right away
Doctor:Along with this, complete rest of the right hand is required
Doctor:I would suggest you to take the medicine, and take a day off from work and any other manual hand work
User:but i work on laptop
Doctor:Rest is important in treatment of the same
User:i try working with my left hand instead
Doctor:if that is feasible then fine
Doctor:I would suggest complete rest to right hand
User:I wanted to know if this is treatable and how the treatment will proceed?
Doctor:no more strain on the arm until you recover
Doctor:You can use some soothing oil on the right hand like Myovedic lotion
Doctor:this can help relieving the strain
Doctor:You can also use volini or moov
User:Should I massage the oil on the arm?
Doctor:are you following me?
Doctor:preferably ask some one to do it for you so that you feel the relief
User:yes doctor i am
Doctor:once the pain subsides we can go into further management
User:I had asked earlier. Is this treatable?
Doctor:yes it is
User:ok great.
Doctor:treatment options would be Massage therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy
Doctor:we also try local steroid injections for a while
User:Oh i am not so much into taking medicines.
Doctor:for chronic nerve entrapment, tension release surgery would be ultimate option
Doctor:physiotherapy and massage are the main line treatment
User:Ok so how do we diagnose which level it is?
Doctor:medicines are required in acute pain condition like what you are suffering now
Doctor:You need to consult an orthopedician for it
Doctor:To know the exact level of compression, a thorough clinical examination is required
User:so what do you suggest?
Doctor:for long term relief, you need to consult an orthopedician and learn the management accordingly
Doctor:Refrain from using your laptop as much as possible
User:So I understand that you suggest I take the analgesic now and massage my arm for now. Is that correct?
Doctor:and complete rest to your right hand
User:So what would be next steps?
Doctor:take symptomatic treatment now for 2 days
Doctor:and then consult a orthopedician for long term management
User:Will do.
User:Anything else you would like to suggest?
Doctor:nothing more
User:Ok great. Thanks a lot Doctor. Wish you a wonderful day ahead!
Doctor:same to you as well
Doctor:get well soon
User:Thank you.
Doctor:all right
Doctor:take care
Doctor:Bye for now
User:Bye. Thank you very much for your advise.
Doctor:my pleasure
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor