Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Burning sensation in the penis during erection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Men Sexual Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   DrXXX here
User :   Nice to meet you Dr XXX
Doctor :   How can i help you?
User :   I've been having a constant burning in my penis for the past few months now, but i've been only getting it when i have an erection, and at times urinating. The burning is not consistant during urination but it is when i get an erectionn
User :   There is no pain
User :   the burning at times will feel like it goes from the tip of my penis to my testicles
Doctor :   May i know your age?
User :   27
Doctor :   Is there any rash or itching on penis?
User :   I've been to the doc's office a few times in regards to this situation. I've done urine tests and blood tests but nothing negative
User :   no rash
User :   some itching but nothing major
Doctor :   Is the itching periodic or continuous?
User :   periodic
Doctor :   Is the erection and ejaculation proper? Any problems in that?
User :   The burning will go away at times during ejaculation but it will burn all the way up til climaz
User :   The erection is not 100% firm
User :   and the amound of semen is not as much
User :   as normal that is
User :   also, i have these small jelly like balls in my semen
Doctor :   I will suggest you to get a semen analysis and semen culture sensitivity test done to find out the root cause and also you require a examination.
User :   and the semen seems to be thicker
Doctor :   It can be indicative of any viral or bacterial infection or any allergy or any prostate inflammation.
Doctor :   Are there any scrotal changes also there?
User :   Ok, but would this not show in a urine sample?
User :   No scrotal changes
Doctor :   No if semen infection is there it will not show up in the urine test.
User :   they do ache though they are heavy
User :   What is this caused by?
Doctor :   Then get a proper examination also done for scrotum.
Doctor :   It may be that any infection has spread to the scrotal area
User :   What are some of the things that could cause an infection?
User :   and if it is an infection...can it be treated?
User :   is it similar to a uti?
Doctor :   It can be any viral, bacterial or fungal infection.
Doctor :   Yes with proper medications it can be treated.
Doctor :   Till then avoid having unprotected intercourse.
User :   Ok, that's not an issue
User :   Is this appointment set-up with a specialist?
Doctor :   Yes you need to see a Urologist in this case.
User :   Do you know if this can be scheduled directly with a urologist..or does it usually have to be through a referral?
Doctor :   Usually your GP should refer to urologist. Request him to refer you.
Doctor :   Have you followed what i have said?
User :   Ok, what are the dangers of having intercourse if there is an infection?
User :   can it be contracted?
Doctor :   Your partner can also catch the infection if unprotected intercourse is done.
User :   Ok, thanks for the information.
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
User :   Yes
Doctor :   Ok, proceed
User :   I've been tested for std's a few months back and have not been sexually active in between time
User :   how could it be viral?
User :   if i tested negative
Doctor :   Were you treated for STD's and were you on medications?
User :   I was tested for STD's and no medication was prescribed since tests were negative
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   It could be any other infection then.Did you have intercourse with any unknown partner recently?
User :   No, not at all
Doctor :   Ok
User :   Is there a possibility that it might be a uti?
User :   i've had a history of uti's but a long time ago
User :   and it feels somewhat similar
User :   but more intense
Doctor :   If UTI would be there it would have come up in urine test, also it does have other symptoms as constant burning, associated hig h fever.
User :   I always feel like i have a full bladder but can never urinate as much as i thought i would be able to
Doctor :   It may be then your prostate is inflamed and needs evaluation.
User :   Does this still need a semen analysis?
User :   and an appointment with a urologist?
Doctor :   Yes you definitely need to get yourself examined by a urologist and also get the investigations done to prevent the spread.
Doctor :   You may also require Transrectal USG scan to see the prostate image.
User :   What's that?
Doctor :   It is Ultrasound of the Prostate area to see its images.
User :   and how is this performed?
User :   like a regular x-ray?
Doctor :   The urologist may do a rectal examination also to confirm this.
Doctor :   In this a probe is inserted through the rectal area and this probe creates images iun the screen.
User : it painful?
Doctor :   No they apply a jelly before inserting, it would not be painful
User :   Ok
User :   Well then..i guess i have to set-up an appointment!
User :   can a high cholesterol level be a reason too?
Doctor :   Yes do get it done urgently.
Doctor :   Do you have high cholesterol? If yes what are the values?
User :   Yes, i do
Doctor :   High cholesterol cannot cause such symptoms.
User :   not sure of the values but bad choesterol is pretty high, and good cholesterol is pretty low
Doctor :   Are you on any medications for that?
User :   No meds just a diet
Doctor :   Ok
User :   hold on
User :   i am taking an anti anxiety medication
Doctor :   Since when are you taking medication for anxiety?
User :   for about a year now
Doctor :   Ok
User :   and i've also doubled up on herbal supplements
Doctor :   Ok
User :   These are the only new things in routine
Doctor :   Are you doing regular exercises?
User :   no
Doctor :   They are very necessary in case of raised cholesterol
User :   some small cardio activities but that's about it
User :   every once in a while
Doctor :   It helps to reduce raised cholesterol.
Doctor :   Go for a daily brisk walk for half an hour.
User :   yeah, i do that every once in a while
Doctor :   Make it a regular habit.
User :   yeah, i'm trying to do that.
Doctor :   Take Vitamin E tab daily , it will help in reducing cholesterol
User :   I take a multi vitamin every day
User :   is that in addition to the multi?
Doctor :   Also add Vitamin E daily
User :   ok
User :   I do have one more question
Doctor :   Yes proceed
User :   it is still in regards to the buring
User :   burning
User :   is it possible that it may be cause by not ejaculating when needed?
User :   or over masturbating?
Doctor :   No it cannot be like that.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
User :   Nope, you've answered it all
User :   thanks so much for your assistance
User :   very much appreciated
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me, bye for now.
Doctor :   All the best
User :   Bye
Doctor :   Take care
User :   Thanks
User :   You too
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor