Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Burning sensation during intercourse, Chances of a vaginal infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   My wife and I have been married for almost 4 years now. We have a 2 year old son. Before we were marriend and got pregnant we could have normal sex and I could ejaculate in her with no problems. Since our son has been born I cannot ejaculate in my wife anymore because is turns her so bad she crys. I am puzzled what this could be as neither of us has cheated and both are free of stds. Her doctor said it may have been related to her iud so he removed it and put her on regular birth control. She is still having the problem and i am not sure what we should do or what this can be. It is a great detriment to our sex life. Additionally, If i pull out it doesnt burn and if it is on her skin anywhere else it doesnt cause any irritation. Please help!!
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   may i ask a few relevant questions now ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   could you tell me when was the IUD inserted?
User :   january 2009
Doctor :   I cannot ejaculate in my wife anymore because is turns her so bad she cry_ could you please elaborate on this
User :   when we have sex and i ejaculate, i cant do it in her vagin because she says that it burns her so bad she cant stand it. She almost crys and cant get comfortable afterwards for about 1-2 hours
Doctor :   ok
User :   the way she describes it is that someone has lit a fire inside her
Doctor :   may i know what was the type of the delivery when she had her son?
User :   c-section
Doctor :   ok, at the time or after delivery were there any complications or any significant history that you want to share?
User :   no. nothing comes to mind
Doctor :   ok , whenever you try to have sex , apart from burning , has there been any bleeding or any discharge that looks abnormal?
User :   None. she does have an excess amount of discharge regularly, but has been to her gyno about it and he said that is normal in some women
Doctor :   ok, may i know her age?
User :   he suggested that she may also ahve a yeast infection and that could cause the burning, but even after her treatment for that she still has the burning. she is 21
Doctor :   ok , what are the investigations done so far , from the time she has these symptoms?
User :   yeast infection, std check, papp smear, removal of iud and addition of bc pill
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   was an ultrasound scan done?
User :   im not 100% sure. she didnt mention anything about it.
Doctor :   ok , apart from this , does she have frequent complains of fever, chills , burning sensation while urination , etc?
User :   None. she has no problems while using restroom and has not been sick
User :   her doctor suggested that she may also have developed an allergy to me? is that possible
Doctor :   ok , lastly, how are her menstrual cycles are they regular ?
User :   her cycles were not regular at all on the iud. doctor switched her to the pill and they have since resumed to normal on the planned periods
Doctor :   ok , is she on any medications apart from the pills , for anyother condition /
User :   no
Doctor :   ok , let me summarize it to you
Doctor :   on considering all possibilities and keeping in mind about her symptoms and investigations done so far i can think of these probable causes
Doctor :   1. vaginal dryness
Doctor :   2. vaginal infection
Doctor :   3. pelvic inflammation
Doctor :   4. ovarian cyst
Doctor :   5. vaginal tightness
Doctor :   6. any cyst growing in the vaginal region causing the pain
Doctor :   7.vulvodynia_ a painful chronic condition with not any specific cause
Doctor :   are you with me?
User :   yes i am here
Doctor :   i feel that this must be due to vaginal dryness
Doctor :   this is a very common problem with women who experience burning , without other symptoms
Doctor :   to overcome this , she needs to have a good lubrication to the vagina, have a longer foreplay and then the intercourse as such
User :   only concern i have with that is even when she is very aroused and "wet" there this burning sensation still occurs
Doctor :   i can also think of a new allergy which she could have developed, if she has changed her tampoons or any new chemicals put to use for her vaginal hygeine
Doctor :   it could even mean a cyst in the area, which may be very small , the cysts will irritate the nerve around which causes a diffuse burning pain
User :   no. she only uses 1 type of tampon and only uses antibacterial unsected soap on her vaginal area to clean
Doctor :   apart from this , i would want to tell you, any underlying infection , any where in the pelvis, vagina, ovary, can cause pain like this as well
User :   could she have developed an allergy to my semen, as her gyno suggested could be possible?
Doctor :   if nothing has been detected so far, this may be vulvodynia , as i said a chronic condition of burning vagina, without a specific cause.
Doctor :   yes, she could have developed an allergy as well to your semen
User :   Should that be the case where she is allergic to me is there any remedy?
Doctor :   since I cannot examine her , i can come to these possibilities, i would want to suggest a few investigations
Doctor :   yes , there will be remedies , are you looking for another child ?
User :   we hope to have another
Doctor :   ok , that is good
Doctor :   i will suggest you to ask her to undergo these tests, any of these which she has not undergone before
User :   ok
Doctor :   1. complete blood count
Doctor :   2. urine routine and microscopy - to check for any infection
Doctor :   3. an ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis - to find out if there is a pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cysts or any uterine infection which has gone undetected
Doctor :   4. she may also need a few tests on allergy, if the complete blood count shows changes
Doctor :   are youwith me?
User :   yes. Are there any tests that I may need to do? she feels the problem lies with me
Doctor :   for now , no need to do any tests
Doctor :   but if her reports turn normal , then you may need some investigations along with her test samples
User :   ok
Doctor :   if it is a semen allergy, we can treat it
Doctor :   by many ways
Doctor :   there is a simple way to find out if she is allergic to semen
Doctor :   what you can do is, try to have intercourse once with a condom
Doctor :   then there will not be an ejaculation in her
Doctor :   vagina, even after doing the same , if she complains of burning , then it may not bee a semen allergy
Doctor :   are you with me?
User :   yes, but when we have sex now, i pull out and she doesnt have any problems with burning, it is only if i ejaculate in her
Doctor :   if there is no burning without ejaculations inside her , then semen allergy may be the reason
Doctor :   ok , then we may need to investigate
Doctor :   if it is an allergy do not worry,we can de sensitize her and you could enjoy good sex after treatment
Doctor :   if it is dryness also it can be tackled with lubricants
Doctor :   did you follow my suggestions?
Doctor :   i hope i answered all your questions?
User :   yes
Doctor :   you could chat again for further questions
Doctor :   kindly follow up with the tests
User :   ok thansk
Doctor :   and we can come up with a solution soon
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   pleasure here
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor