Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Buring pain in area between leg, genitals - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   i have a burning pain in the area between the leg and the genitals. Im a woman btw. i thought i hurt myself shaving but it is hurting really bad right now and i noticed it looks like burned or no skin there. it is about half inch length and 1/4 inch wide, what is it?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   Since when are you having these symptoms?
User :   yesterday
Doctor :   May I know your age and did you develop the symptoms after shaving?
User :   33
Doctor :   Do you find redness, swelling associated with the lesion?
User :   i shave every day, i thought it was a cut or an ingrowth hair and today i took a look at it because it is very uncomfortable
User :   no swelling
User :   red around and like lite pink in the middle... looks like a burn
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you find any ooze/discharge from the affected site?
User :   nothing at all
Doctor :   Do you have history of diabetes?
User :   no diabetes
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain.
Doctor :   Since you report that there is loss of tissue with redness, it could be an infective condition - a bacterial infection.
Doctor :   Staphylococcal infection of the skin/follicles are probably responsible.
Doctor :   Let me suggest you few measures.
Doctor :   1. Keep the area clean and dry
User :   i put baby powder earlier but it just calmed the pain for a minute
User :   ok
Doctor :   2. You can apply local antiseptic cream such as neomycin or soframycin cream over the lesion
Doctor :   3. Do not touch the area with bare fingers and avoid further shaving.
User :   i dont even use tissue paper, i use wipes every time i go to the bathroom. is that ok?
User :   are those otc creams?
Doctor :   4. As long as you keep the area clean and dry, it is fine.
Doctor :   Yes they are OTC creams.
User :   and i use antibacterial soap, is that ok?
Doctor :   If there is increase in the symptoms, further loss of tissue, if you find redness increasing, appearance of swelling, or if you develop fever,
Doctor :   these symptoms are warning signs warning you that you need to see a doctor.
Doctor :   Get to a dermatologist/gynecologist who can physically examine you and prescribe you oral antibiotics.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   ok Dr. got it. hopefully the creams will do.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   what did probably cause it?
Doctor :   It is hard to comment on the cause without physically examining it, but I guess it could have been you shaving there
Doctor :   may have introduced the infection
Doctor :   *that may have introduced the infection.
Doctor :   Bacterial infection enter via skin abrasions and cuts.
User :   oh ok. thanks Dr.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   no Sr. Im heading right now to Walgreens bcs I have a long night studying but it bothers me.
User :   thants it.
User :   thanks again Dr.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   bye Sr.
Doctor :   Wish you speedy recovery.
User :   =)
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor