Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Breast bone pain, deep breath hurts, coughing hurts. Done Chest X ray, normal. What is going on? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 28-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User:I have a pain in my left breast under bone (rib). when i get a cough or deep breath, the pain is very high. I cant tolerate at that time. Please suggest me the specialist doctor for this problem.
Doctor:How can I help you?
Doctor:I believe we had a phone discussion few days ago, how are you now?
Doctor:Haven't the symptoms improved?
User:yes,even i cant lift my kid also
Doctor:Has your cough improved?
Doctor:Are you still having breathing difficulties?
User:but i feel the pain regularly
Doctor:like I mentioned in our last discussion as the Chest was normal
Doctor:the pain that you have currently is arising from the
Doctor:tissues of the chest wall.
Doctor:It could either be an inflammed soft tissue / muscle or minor fractures of the rib bone.
Doctor:Both these condition will heal itself as your cough reduces.
Doctor:Hence the onus is on controlling the cough.
Doctor:If you are not on any cough syrup, I would suggest you Syp Tus Q
Doctor:You might take this 1 tsp twice or thrice a day.
Doctor:Along with it also try steam inhalation.
Doctor:For the pain,
Doctor:you can take some antiinflammatory drugs.
Doctor:Antiinflammatory drugs are available over the counter as Tab.Dolo 650mg / Ibuprofen or as prescription medications like diclofenac.
Doctor:You can try any of these medications depending on the severity of the complaints.
Doctor:soft tissue inflammation worsen with every activity of yours
Doctor:so it absolutely necessary that you avoid any physical exertion such as lifting weights, children or any other exercise.
Doctor:Rest adequately.
Doctor:You can consider the option of visiting a general physician or pulmonologist.
Doctor:A thorough examination of the chest can help us rule out any other possibility that I may have missed.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor