Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Body ache after unprotected intercourse, pain in the groin area, Chances of HIV? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: HIV and AIDS
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi doctor,I had sex with a partner one week back , who is married.This was the first time i had sex and i am not sure i used condomn properly. I am starting to get body pains . She went for an Elisa test just before we had intercourse and the result was negative...Do i have the risk of getting HIV?I am paranoid on this .Please help me .If so when is the appropriate time for me to get tested ?
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   i have posted my question above sir... i am confused on this
Doctor :   I do not consider you in risk here
User :   but i am having body pains sir... i read online that symptoms of aids can include fever,rashes etc
Doctor :   HiV can never be symptomatic in a week
Doctor :   its due to stress you have , you are getting the pains
User :   also i had pain in my private areas and joints for 2 to 4 days
User :   ok she had elisa test just 2 days before we had intercourse and she got -ve User :   so does that mean i am safe ..
Doctor :   i would still say the symptoms you have cannot be due to hiv
Doctor :   yes, you are
Doctor :   you are safe
User :   this accident happened out of the blue .... what i am afraid is i do not want to infect my partner whom i will be marrying in a year or so
User :   one more qn sir
User :   if i want to get tested for elisa down the line....when is the right time to do so
User :   i mean 2 months after i had intercourse or what ??? sorry for pestering you again...but i am very very afraid regarding this
Doctor :   ELISA can give right results only after 6 months of exposure
Doctor :   the best test would be P24antigen assay , which can pick the Hiv much before , soon after one months only
User :   is that a very costly test ?
Doctor :   It costs around 2000 rupees
User :   ok sir...ill give the test after one month ... also you can assure me that i am safe since my partner had taken the elisa test just a week back we had intercourse
Doctor :   yes, i am sure of it, anyway for safety get the test done
User :   yes sir sure i will in a month....
User :   sir one last thing
Doctor :   yes, please
User :   what is the symptoms of aids and when will start occuring ?
User :   i used condoms through out the intercourse but my partner touched my private areas...would that impose the risk ???
Doctor :   the symptoms of Aids start around 3 to 6 months after exposure, the symptoms are just like regular viral fevers : Fever , chills , joint pains , headache,muscle pain .. most of times these symptoms will go unnoticed
Doctor :   touching do not pose any risk
User :   so why do i feel the body pain sir it totally about stress or i could have got any other std's
Doctor :   Do you have any lesions over the penis or in the oral cavity ?
User :   what is lesions?
Doctor :   pimple or a ulcer ?
User :   no sir but i am circumcised , if it has to do anything
User :   moreover its just been a week since we had intercourse
User :   i was feeling the pain in my groin sir not the penis
Doctor :   i would ask you to observe the genitals and in the opal cavity for development of any lesions , for next two weeks
Doctor :   if you spot any then may need to consult a STD specialist
Doctor :   groin pain is due to muscle sprains and that can be seen in stress
User :   sure sir..i will do ...
User :   so just as you said i will take the test in a month and also observe if i get any lesions
Doctor :   yes,
User :   thank you very much for your time sir....i feel somewhat safe after speaking to you sir...will do just as you adviced
Doctor :   you are welcome
Doctor :   Thanks or consulting me
Doctor :   kindly provide your feedback
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Take care
User :   sure sir...bye
User :   take care
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor