Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Bleeding after abortion - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Good Posted in: Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   Hi, I had a medical abortion in early November and my cycle started and has been on for 13 days now and counting. Is this normal?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Is this your first period after the medical abortion?
Doctor :   May I know your age?
User :   Think it's my second. 36
Doctor :   Did you have normal period before this?
User :   YES - all my life
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have abdominal pain, passing clots/masses associated with this bleeding?
Doctor :   Are you on pills?
User :   I did pass some clots when my period first started and yes there is some abdominal pain, but it is not severe - felt like normal cramping. No, I'm not on the pill
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have any medical illness such as diabetes, thyroid problems?
User :   no
User :   No
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   Menstrual bleeding is affected by multiple factors.
User :   I am also having some crampingin my legs
Doctor :   Since you report of a recent medical abortion, one needs to rule out a possibility of incomplete abortion
User :   I was wondering about that, I returned to the clinic for my follow up visit and they told me my uterus was clear, but hte pregnancy test came back positive
Doctor :   If pregnancy test is positive, then you still can have some remanants in the uterus which needs to be cleared.
Doctor :   You will need a repeat examination, ultrasound test and if there are remnants of incomplete abortion, it needs to be treated.
Doctor :   Hence I suggest you to consult a gynecologist who can guide you through these procedure.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   Yes, I need to see my normal gynecologist.
Doctor :   A gynecologist is the right person to see you through this current symptom.
User :   probably not the clinic I went to initially
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   no, thank you!
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor