Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Bartholin's cysts caused by unprotected sex - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2570 Questions
User :   i have a pea size lump near my clitoris, and its painful. I have had it for a while now, but within the last 2 weeks has been causing discomfort.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello Dr
Doctor :   Hi , I have seen your query .
Doctor :   May I ask you a few more questions pertaining to your problem to help you better ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   May I know your age and do you have any pain or tenderness ?
User :   i am 28 and it is painful if area is touched
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Do you have any discharge that is foul smelling ?
User :   no.
User :   i do however have a history of dermoid cyst. on ovaries.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Are you sexually active ?
User :   yes.
Doctor :   Do you have one partner and have you had an unprotective intercourse ?
User :   i am no longer with the partner, but i always use protection with a new partner.
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   i have not had intercourse in 3 months.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Have you anytime in the past had anything like this ?
User :   no.
Doctor :   Are the dermoid cysts in your ovary active or functional and large ?
User :   i had 2. both were very large, and caused pain. i had surgery 4 years ago. last check a year ago, there were no regrowths.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I would give you a differential diagnosis of your problem and might be you have to use an antibiotic for this : User :   ok
Doctor :   1. Bartholin's Cyst for which the following treatment has to be taken : Doctor :   For a small Bartholin's cyst that is not too painful, treatment consists of sitz baths with follow-up if the cyst enlarges or becomes painful.
Doctor :   Especially with painful cysts treatment with antibiotics and sitz baths to cool off the infection is sometimes done. If this doesnt clear up the infection, a surgical procedure called a marsupialization can be done later.
User :   ok.
Doctor :   2. It can be a simple painful blister due to Staph aureus infection, which needs an antibiotic treatment for 5-7 days.
Doctor :   3. The rarest in your case especially would be genital herpes as you are sexually inactive presently and you do not have a history.
User :   no i have had this lump for atleast a year, and it just recently became painful.
User :   so hopefully not an std.
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   This is a very important point that you have stated.
User :   oh ok
Doctor :   I feel you must also get a blood test done for Herpes .
Doctor :   Please dont panic but it is teh protocol that we have to follow.
User :   ok
Doctor :   1. A HERPES diagnostic test for Antibodies.
Doctor :   2. A Bartholin's Gland analysis by a gynecologist.
Doctor :   3. A small test of smear or an analysis of teh peanut sized infalammtion.
Doctor :   Treatment is sitz bath immediately,A sitz bath (also called a hip bath) is a type of bath in which only the hips and buttocks are soaked in water or saline solution. ...
Doctor :   2. APPLICATION OF KAMILLOSAN ointment.
Doctor :   do oyu have anyhting lese to ask ?
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me.
Doctor :   Take care, Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor