Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

BMI shows underweight. What should I do ? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User:good evening doctor
Doctor:Good evening
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:my name is XXXXXXXXXXX i chek my BMI it show i m underweight pls sujjest what shld i do
Doctor:may I know your age?
User:30 yrs
Doctor:Ok. Let me guide you.
Doctor:First thing we should understand is a general formula.
Doctor:That is Food taken minus the food used by body= food stored.
User:from las 2 yrs my weight was not increase
Doctor:So, if you do not have any other complaints or diseases, you will need to increase your intake on high calorie food.
User:my weight is 52kg
User:i m veg. pls tell what is the high calorie food in veg
Doctor:Extra food taken get accumulated in the body as fat.
Doctor:You can take nuts, ghee, butter, milk etc.
Doctor:Make it a routine to include two times milk in your diet.
Doctor:Also use ghee and butter which has high calory values.
User:doctor can you please tell the time table when i take my breakfast meals dinner
Doctor:You need to take regular food.
Doctor:And also you need to include snacks in between.
User:i take milk in night every day after dinner
Doctor:Every meals, you need to fix a particular time.
Doctor:For example, breakfast at 8 am, then snacks at 11 am, lunch at 1 pm, snacks at 4 pm, snacks at 6 pm, dinner at 8pm and then sleep at 10 pm.
Doctor:This would be an ideal way of taking food.
Doctor:You can include more of butter and ghee during your snacks.
Doctor:And, do not expect the weight to increase in a short span of time.
Doctor:Target as much as 1 to 2 Kgs in a month
Doctor:That would be around 250gms to 500gms in a week.
Doctor:And that would be easily attainable.
Doctor:Are you following me?
User:yes doctor
Doctor:You can also include snacks with mayonnaise.
User:doctor can i take supliment is it safe
Doctor:Supplements are either minerals or vitamins
Doctor:they do not give any calories
Doctor:They are not calorie producing food.
Doctor:They are more important for body functions rather than gaining weight.
Doctor:You can take them to help your body functions.
User:in the madical there are many weight gain produts are available is it safe can i take
Doctor:Please do not take them.
Doctor:They may conatin harmful ingredients too.
User:then what shld i do for weight gain
Doctor:if you follow what I said, you will start to notice the changes soon.
User:ok doctor thank you
Doctor:In the mean time, you can always post a query to our dietician. they would help to formulate a personalized diet chart for you.
User:doctor can i ask question about my family
Doctor:Please proceed.
Doctor:Are you with me?
User:my wife meanstreas cycle was come on 15th of every month but in this month it come again yesterday in last month also period comes twice
Doctor:How many days does the period stay?
Doctor:And how many days is her cycle now?
User:4 to 5 days
Doctor:If she is having frequent menstrual periods, then it is important to get it examined by a gynecologist.
Doctor:It could be due to ovarian or uterine abnormalities.
Doctor:It could be hormonal imbalances.
Doctor:The cause can be determined only after a proper physical examination and investigations.
User:she deliver baby 4 month ago
Doctor:Oh, ok.
Doctor:In that case, it could be just that the body is trying to regulate the hormones.
Doctor:You can wait for another cycle and see how frequent the periods are.
Doctor:It should be getting fine by itself.
Doctor:In case it does not, then only you need to visit a gynecologist.
User:doctor can i give gripe water to my baby now
User:ok thank you so much doctor
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Hope i was helpful.
User:yes doctor
Doctor:Thank you for consulting me.
Doctor:Have a Nice Evening!!
User:good night doctor
Doctor:Bye for now.
Doctor:Good Night.
User:bye doctor
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor