Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Ankylosing spondylitis with back ache - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Brain and Spine
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   I have a history of ankylosing spondylitis. Have been diagnosed with HLA-B27.
Facing burning sensation over left part of chest and left hand, and stiffness over the neck.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   I am dr. XXXX
Doctor :   Let me read your query
User :   Good morning, Sir
Doctor :   Ok
User :   are you a rheumatologist ?
Doctor :   I am a General Physician
User :   thanks
Doctor :   I can help within my expertise
Doctor :   Ok are you on some treatment
Doctor :   When were you diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis?
User :   I have been diagnosed and treated last year in Mumbai and I got ok in 15-20 days
User :   It was Dr Archic, in Dadar
User :   it was all ok till last one month. and I again started facing the same problem/symptoms
Doctor :   AS shall have relapses and your doctor would have educated you
Doctor :   Are you on physiotherapy or rehabilitation treatment
User :   not as of yet.
Doctor :   which should go on even though you do not have problems
Doctor :   What iis your age?
User :   I am trying to understand if I need to visit a "rheumatologist" or a "orthopaedic" ?
User :   I am 30 Yrs
Doctor :   What is your job?
User :   Dr XXX told me this could not be cured but can be suppressed using exercises and medication
User :   I am into audits/ consulting and do sit for longer hrs
Doctor :   I agree with him
Doctor :   Actually your problem needs addressal from three specialists
Doctor :   One is Rheumatologist to reduce the progress
Doctor :   Occupational therpaist who can advice you how to continue the job without complications and hinderancnes
Doctor :   Physiotherapist who can give you advice on the exercises to be performed
Doctor :   daily and during work
Doctor :   I shall help you with tips
User :   Ok. Can you suggest me a specialist doctor/ hospital. Sure.
Doctor :   1) Take as many breaks as possible, once in 20 minutes
Doctor :   for one minute
Doctor :   2) Regularly perform desk exercises which cannot make your muscles stiff and pain
Doctor :   3) Follow up with your Rheumatologist as per his advice
Doctor :   4) When in pain, do not rely on pain medicines only
Doctor :   First start with warm massages and hot fomenation
Doctor :   Rest your back so that the muscle spasm is cleared
User :   Would swimming be helpful ?
Doctor :   Yes, nothing in excess
Doctor :   Dr. XXX is a good Rheumatologist
Doctor :   in XXX
Doctor :   000-0000
Doctor :   Any exercise that you practice should not harm you
Doctor :   Certain movements in the body are painful for individuals
Doctor :   hence those movements are to be avoided
Doctor :   For examples, you are in prone position in swimming it may cause pain for certain individuals
Doctor :   so should be restricted
Doctor :   Are you with me?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding
Doctor :   Please login back if you have more quereis
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor