Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Anal itching - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Infections
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
User :   Do you have a diagnosis for the rash
Doctor :   yes, could you explain the symptoms and elaborate on the rash
User :   My 4-year old daughter has an itchy ring like rash around her anus (red bumps). She's also had a yellow discharge for about 3 days, which she hasn't had before. Could it be a yeast infection? I treated with Clotrimazole 1% and cortizone cream as I didn't know what it is.
Doctor :   does she have fever?
User :   no, she's fine
User :   just very itchy and slightly painful
User :   especially at night she wakes up to scratch a lot
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   apart from this, does she complain of stomach ache?
User :   no. she eats fine. I also can't think of something new or different she's eaten. maybe too much chocolate lately which she isn't used to. I heard that chocolate can cause yeast infection.
Doctor :   from what you have explained to me, I can think of these possibilities
Doctor :   1. a worm infestation, common in children causing anal itching
Doctor :   2. a fungal infection
Doctor :   3. a hair follicle infection with a secondary bacterial infection causing a discharge.
User :   worms? oh. how do you treat that.
User :   fungal infection should be treated with a normal yeast cream like Clotrimazole I guess
Doctor :   does she feel better after the clotrimazole cream?
Doctor :   she needs an examination from a doctor, only after examining her anal region we can conclude on what it is.
User :   I think so. But I did mix it with cortizone to hit 2 birds with one stone in case it isn't a fungal infection. cortizone cures pretty much any skin issue.
Doctor :   generally a worm infestation cause severe itching in the area.
User :   so we have to look at her stool?
User :   can it be visible?
Doctor :   no, she needs to be examined
User :   I think since her vagina has an unusual discharge at the same time with the rash it could be a yeast infection.
Doctor :   and some swab tests may be needed
Doctor :   even other wise the doctor may put her on a course of medicines
User :   ok need to get an appointment i guess.
Doctor :   yes, an examination is needed in her case
User :   how do you find out if it's worms? a swab?
Doctor :   since cortizone will control the itch but not treat the underlying condition.
Doctor :   ya, swab and stool examinations microscopically
User :   makes sense
Doctor :   and an abdominal examination
Doctor :   if it is a superficial bacterial infection , it will be treated with local antiseptics
User :   ok. i hope the doctor will be able to see what it is. it seems like analysis is a bit difficult.
Doctor :   no, on examination , the doctor canconclude on what it is.
Doctor :   only with history, it is difficult to come to a conclusion.
Doctor :   but if it is a superficial skin infection / follicle infection , it can be treated easily.
User :   i just called the doctor's office and they have no appointments this week. great.
User :   NHS
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   continue the clotrimazole
Doctor :   and wait for an improvement
Doctor :   if the child feels discomfort or pain, she needs to see doctor
User :   should I do 3x a day? or increased dose of 2%?
User :   i have it all here in my little pharmacy. :-)
Doctor :   do not increase the dose , just continue it
User :   that's what i thought. it's still a small child. might go away. but i'll call the office tomorrow to see if they have a cancellation.
Doctor :   did i answer your questions?
Doctor :   i think we need time
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor