Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Alziemers and recommended councelling by a psychiatrist - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Mental Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   My wife started taking insulin for type 2 diabetes about 16 months ago. Since then, she's developed a severe dementia, often forgetting what she's heard within a few minutes of hearing it. She'll be 60 in a month. She has two master's degrees, yet she can't learn to use a TV remote. She's had 2 MRIs, an EEG, and numerous blood tests, all for naught. Our HMO is , and until now we've had no reason to complain, but seems to be making no progress toward a cure. What's our best next move?
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   let me read ur query
Doctor :   it seems your wife could be having alziemers
Doctor :   has she been examined by a psychitrist or a physician
Doctor :   are u there ?
User :   She's been examined by her primary health-care provider (2 MRIs), by a neurologist (EEG), and by a neurological consulting physician who gave her a battery of tests. At its conclusion, he agreed with me that there must be a physical cause.
Doctor :   what do u mean by a physical ?
User :   As opposed to anything psychological. Wouldn't the aforementioned tests have turned up Alzheimer's?
Doctor :   usually yes
Doctor :   but earlier findings can be missed on a MRI
Doctor :   ALZEIMERS can be assessed by a physical examinetion and taking an elaborate psychiatric counselling
Doctor :   and history taking
User :   Every time we make an appointment, it's 2 to 3 months away!
Doctor :   you mean to say a appointment with a psychiatrist ?
User :   No, an appointment at . A psychiatrist has never been suggested.
Doctor :   i would defintely ask for an evaluation by a psychiatrist
Doctor :   this will help to get a answer to her status and prper treatment
User :   The battery of tests I mentioned were probably administered by a doctor with similar, if not identical, credentials, and he thinks there's a physical cause of my wife's problems. "There's an answer out there," he said.
Doctor :   in that case the answer should have been already found
Doctor :   by all the test done so far
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Other doctor chats you may be interested in
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor