Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Allergic reaction to seafood - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Asthma and Allergy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
User :   I'm celiac and lactose intolerant and I ate food tonight (prawn patties) that made me feel dizzy, headspin, bottom lip went numb and quivers, I almost passed out - within minutes. Please help, did I have an allergy?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   May I know your age?
User :   I'm 23, female
User :   (on my fiances account)
Doctor :   Have you had similar symptoms before?
User :   I have a history of celiac, lactose intolerance, low iron.
User :   No I have never had lip quiver or felt so dizzy after eating before.
Doctor :   Your present symptoms are vaguely suggesting an allergic reaction.
User :   It happened 30mins ago, and I forced myself to throw up the food. I feel better after getting the food out of my system, but my head is still spinning slightly, my lip is still numb and my eyes feel quite sore.
User :   Are you there?
Doctor :   Let me brief you.
Doctor :   Since you haven't had similar symptoms in the past,
Doctor :   a confirmed diagnosis of allergy isn't possible,
Doctor :   however
Doctor :   since you report of symptoms following sea food,
Doctor :   there are probable chances that it could have been an allergic reaction.
Doctor :   Let me suggest you few measures
Doctor :   1. Use Tablet Claritin one tablet stat now.
Doctor :   2. Watch out for symptoms such as persistent loose stools, itching, skin rashes or soreness, skin eruptions, persisting dizziness and so on.
Doctor :   3. If such symptoms develop, you may need injectable drugs.
Doctor :   4. Get an allergen test done for sea food products,
Doctor :   this will confirm if your present symptoms was infact an allergic reaction.
User :   But I've always been fine with seafood, in fact it's one of the few foods I can digest
Doctor :   Allergic reaction can occur at any time,
Doctor :   your present symptoms can be an allergic reaction, the allergen test will be the confirmative diagnosis.
Doctor :   If the allergen test comes positive to the sea food allergens, then you may have to avoid the sea food/particular sea food.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   OK, can I also ask. Even though I avoid gluten and dairy products, every night when I eat my stomach distends and I feel immediately tired/drained. I get quite a few pains in my stomach as well. Is this normal? Some doctors have just suggested it's IBS
User :   I'm sorry I don't have Claritin in my house.
Doctor :   Benadryl is an alternative drug.
Doctor :   One tablet of benadryl can be used.
Doctor :   Irritable Bowel syndrome is a possibility.
Doctor :   However lack of energy immediately after a meal can also happen if you are allergic to food.
Doctor :   Allergies prevent proper absorption of nutrients thereby can cause similar symptoms.
Doctor :   The confirmation on the allergens is a
Doctor :   by the allergen test.
Doctor :   Hence, I would suggest you to report back to your doctor,
Doctor :   and if possible get the allergen test to confirm allergies.
Doctor :   Avoiding the allergy causing diet with an alternative food product will make you feel better.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   I only have nurofen in my house, my partner has gone to get me benadryl from a chemist
Doctor :   Nurofen is an antiinflammatory medication, and not useful for an allergic reaction.
Doctor :   Benadry tablets or Claritin tablets are antihistamines useful for treating allergic condition.
Doctor :   while your partner gets the medication, the best you can do, is lie flat on a bed.
Doctor :   The symptoms were mild, and since you vomited immediately
Doctor :   the chances that you will have an severe reaction is low.
Doctor :   Hence lie flat, take the medication suggested, report to your doctor and if necessary get the allergen test, to confirm the allergies.

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor