Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Allergic reaction and eye redness - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Asthma and Allergy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   I have redness on the outside of my left eye. Then it travels to the inside of my left eye and then moves to the right eye in the same pattern - outside first and then inside. I have no tenderness, just redness. I have gone to the ophthamologist twice about this and he found nothing and prescribed antibiotic eye drops. This has been happening the 3rd week of the month consecutively for 3 months. Not sure what's going on. I don't have a history of high blood pressure and I have been using artificial tears every night.
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am DR here
Doctor :   give me a min please, let me read your query
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please ?
User :   female, age 43
Doctor :   so you have dryness in your eyes ?
Doctor :   any visual changes ?
User :   yes.
Doctor :   when you are prescribed the antibiotics . does the redness goes away
User :   no visual changes - also confirmed by ophthamologist.
User :   with the prescription, yes the redness does go away. But it comes back.
Doctor :   i see
Doctor :   ok is this been happening for the first time
User :   No. It happened last November, December, now January.
Doctor :   and how long does it last ?
User :   at least a week.
Doctor :   are you allergic you anything ?
User :   Not that I am aware of.
Doctor :   so it has been happening during the winter season ?
User :   Yes.
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   now what it looks like in my opinion is more like an allergic reaction
User :   Okay - maybe makeup?
Doctor :   it can be a cause
Doctor :   now you need to also take some anti allergic medication
Doctor :   and a blood test is required
Doctor :   Allergy blood tests look for substances in the blood called antibodies
Doctor :   The most common type of blood test used is the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA). It measures the blood level of a type of antibody (called immunoglobulin E, or IgE) that the body may make in response to certain allergens. IgE levels are often higher in people who have allergies
Doctor :   if that is raised then we are sure that its a allergic reaction
User :   Okay. I will make an appointment with a physician.
Doctor :   but from the pattern you are telling me it sure mostly look like a allergic
Doctor :   dont worry you will be fine
User :   Thank you for your time.
Doctor :   your most welcome
Doctor :   take care
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor