Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Acid peptic disease medication - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
User :   hello
User :   I have been having very bad stomac pain and bloating for three months
Doctor :   Ok, Do you have nausea associated with the same ?
User :   some times
Doctor :   Ok, Is there any relation of your symptoms with intake of food ?
User :   no it dosent matter what i eat, iv tried differnt ways to see if it helps and it doesnt
Doctor :   Ok, Have you taken any medication for the same ?
User :   iv been to the er twice they did a ct scan and blood work and everything came back fine they gave me so loratabs for pain i took them for a week, other then that I take prolesec everyday
Doctor :   Since when are you on Prilosec ?
User :   for three monthes
User :   since it started
Doctor :   Ok, Has prilosec showed any improvement ?
User :   no not really any change
Doctor :   I do suspect it to be acid peptic disease with high severity needing a n endoscopy
Doctor :   also you may have to switch on to better Proton pump inhibitor than Prilosec
Doctor :   along with a antispasmodic
User :   what would be better then prilosec
Doctor :   Like Lansaprazole and Itorpide
Doctor :   Lansaprazole is a better fast acting and long acting portent antiacid
User :   is that otv
User :   otc
Doctor :   No , Its not an OTC you may need a written prescription for the same
User :   is there any otc that would be better then prilosec, I dont have inshurance to get a scrip
Doctor :   Well Prilosec is alone OTC amongst the group of antacids
Doctor :   You can ask your nearest primary physician for it he can help you in getting them
User :   if it was peptic disease wouldnt the prilosec help even a lil? because there has been no change
Doctor :   I agree with you. But Prilosec is a drug of low potency which may not help in long term, acid peptic diseases
Doctor :   The symptoms you have are very typical of the APD
User :   is there anything i could get otc? I have no way of going to see a doc
Doctor :   Ok, you could also try Pan 40 ( Pantaprazole )
User :   and that is otc
Doctor :   You may get it with without prescription
Doctor :   Not as potent as Lansaprazole but surely much better than Prilosec
Doctor :   Yes,
User :   how much should i take
Doctor :   Yes, one tab early in the morning before food for 15 days , You will see a good change
User :   does it start working very fast
Doctor :   It may take a week for its action to be witnessed but its long lasting effect
User :   is there anything else that would help along with taking that
Doctor :   You can take TUMS on occasions where you have the symptoms aggravated by any kind of food or stress
User :   ok i do that now, the pan 40 is that in stores or do you have to order it
Doctor :   It will be available in the stores
User :   ok i called my local store and they dont have it
Doctor :   Try asking for other brand names.. the ingredient is Pantaprazole 40 mg
User :   oh ok so as long as the ingredient is pantapazole
Doctor :   Like : Protonix
Doctor :   Yes,
User :   is pepto ok to take i have a few times and felt a lil better
Doctor :   yes, you can take it
User :   if its not apd what else could it be
Doctor :   If i am not wrong it contains BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE, which does help in acid peptic diseases
Doctor :   The other possibilities could be of Malabsorption syndromes
User :   what is that
Doctor :   Its a illness where a specific type of food material do not get digested instead create gas and cause intestinal mal motility causing pain, Well its seen more towards diary products and is a rare illness
User :   what could i take for that
User :   diary does make it worse
Doctor :   Identifying and avoiding such foods is the only treatment established for such an illness
User :   is it like being lactose intolerant
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor