Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Accidental injection of air instead of insulin - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Diabetes
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here
User :   Hi
Doctor :   please proceed with your health query
User :   I just accidently injected myself with air instead of insulin - about 20 units
User :   want to know if I will live - saw a bit of blood at the site
User :   just a bit
User :   20 ir 30 units before I realized what I was doing
Doctor :   if you have injected air,
Doctor :   instead of insulin, please get your self examined
User :   I am right now by you
User :   that's why I paid
Doctor :   if the air embolus reaches lung or blocks any small blood vessel you can have stroke
User :   what will doctor do to find out?
Doctor :   i would recommend you to visit Emergency room
User :   how will they test to find out if there is an embolus?
Doctor :   and get an examination done along wth further investigatiosn to see if teh air embolus is still in body
Doctor :   or has it getting absorbed
Doctor :   be under constant observation
User :   what kind of examination?
User :   is there a test?
User :   do you know anything?!!!!!
Doctor :   physical examination including the site of injection
User :   I can do that myself
User :   I see nothing
Doctor :   no you cannot do that yourself
User :   what does a doctor see that I can't by "examination"?
User :   You haven't mentioned any test
Doctor :   more than the tests you need to be under constant observation and medical care to avoid complications that could result due to air embolus
User :   you're not very convincing
User :   I need a real reason
User :   I injected into fat - why do you think it is in blood stream?
Doctor :   it is an emergency situation, anything can happen depending on where the air embolus is travelling
Doctor :   and where it will go and block
Doctor :   there are blood vessels supplying fat
Doctor :   and you said you saw blood when you injected
Doctor :   so there are chances that you injected into blood vessel
User :   not sure
Doctor :   please provide correct details
User :   don't think so... there is a little red spot on skin - not blood
Doctor :   want to know if I will live - saw a bit of blood at the site
User: just a bit
User :   yeah, I'm not sure
Doctor :   please confirm whether itwas blood that you saw or redness.
Doctor :   what i was sugesting was based on your statement that you saw blood
User :   I hate doctors!!!
User :   no offense
User :   and especially ER
Doctor :   if you fail to give proper history and details, treatment will be misguided, you need to be true to your doctor
Doctor :   please meet your GP at an urgent request
User :   GP?
Doctor :   general practitioner/family doctor
User :   he won't do that
User :   sleeping
User :   I'll be charged so much it could break me financially
Doctor :   ok
User :   I think I'll take my chances
User :   I don't know if I saw a bit of blood or not
User :   but doubt it went directly into a vein
User :   probably just nicked a tiny vessel
Doctor :   it is recommended that you take an immediate consultation along with a proper examination. it is upto you to follow it or not.
User :   still you give me no idea
User :   what examination includes
Doctor :   as I said earlier examination includes physical examination and of the local site of injection.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor