Winter is a beautiful season. But, for people suffering from arthritis, this season becomes a reason for aggravated pain, stiffness, and swelling in their joints. If you have arthritis and still desire to enjoy the weather then here is the key. Practice these on-the-bed stretches every day to get relief from your arthritis pain.
Supine hamstring stretch
Stretch your hamstring for 5 minutes daily to strengthen your lower muscle groups. This will improve your overall physical abilities.
How to do it:
- Lie on the bed with right leg bent from the knee and slowly lift it toward your chest.
- Stretch your leg straight and holding the toes with your right hand try pulling the lifted leg back towards your head until you feel the stretch.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds, then slowly bend your knee and lower your leg back to the floor.
- Repeat the exercise with your left knee. For flexible hamstring, do 5 repetitions.
Knee to chest stretch
Practice knee stretch daily in winters to strengthen your lower back and glutes.
How to do it:
- Lie on your back.
- Now with both hands gently pull the right knee towards your chest and hold for 30 seconds. You will feel a throbbing stretch in your leg and the lower back.
- Now slowly let your leg come down to bed.
- Perform this same stretch with the left knee. Do 2 to 3 sets of each knee.
Tip: Prefer taking a warm shower before or after stretching to feel more flexible.
Remember, if you have arthritis it becomes imperative to exercise daily. But, before you start exercising do consult your doctor to know which workout will help you. Stay active, stay fit!