Ask a Cosmetic or Plastic Surgeon about Reconstructive Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Congenital Defect Repair, Breast Augmentation, Liposuction, Rhinoplasty, and Botulinum Toxin Injections . Get your answer in 3 easy steps

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Surindher
Dr. Surindher

Plastic Surgeon

Exp 17 years

HCM Blog Instant Access
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
What is a Cosmetic Surgeon vs a Plastic Surgeon?

Plastic and cosmetic surgeons are doctors who specialize in reconstructive surgery of the face and body for medical or cosmetic purposes. Plastic and cosmetic surgeons have similar training, but they have different goals in their practice. A plastic surgeon performs reconstructive surgery for medical purposes, with the goal of returning normal function and appearance. A cosmetic surgeon primarily works to enhance appearance.  To become a plastic surgeon, after graduating from medical school, a doctor completes a residency program in general surgery followed by further training in plastic surgery. To further specialize in cosmetic surgery, a plastic surgeon may complete a post-residency fellowship in aesthetic or cosmetic surgery.

When Should I See a Cosmetic or a Plastic Surgeon?

Your primary care physician might refer you to a plastic surgeon if you have:
  • Wounds, deformities or mutilations of the face, body, or extremities due to accidents, burns, surgery, or trauma
  • Scars
  • Pressure sores
  • Lymphedema
  • Dupuytren’s disease
  • Previous mastectomy, or other cancer surgeries
  • Congenital defects such as a cleft lip and cleft palate, or congenital nevus
  • Vascular anomalies
  • Alopecia
  • Soft tissue infections or tumors
  • Skin cancer

You would go to see a cosmetic surgeon if you wanted to enhance your appearance for nonmedical reasons.

What Tests Do Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeons Perform or Recommend?

Cosmetic and plastic surgeons may recommend a number of medical tests, including blood tests and urine tests to ensure that you are fit for surgery. These include:


  • Complete blood count (CBC)
  • Coagulation tests PT, PTT
  • Urinalysis
  • Electrocardiogram (ECG)
  • Mammogram before breast surgery
  • Ultrasonography
  • Computerized tomography (CT) scan
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
  • Tissue biopsies

What Procedures Does a Cosmetic and a Plastic Surgeon Perform or Recommend?

A plastic surgeon may perform the following procedures:
  • Skin grafting
  • Tissue flap procedure
  • Reconstructive surgeries
  • Microsurgery to attach a broken or amputated finger or toe
  • Reconstructive surgery for congenital defect such as cleft lip or palate
  • Hand surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, extra fingers, accidental damage, and Dupuytren’s contracture
  • Foot surgery for webbed feet or extra toes
  • Scar revision
  • Adipose stem cell therapy
  • Gynecomastia surgery
  • Panniculectomy (body contouring) after bariatric surgery
  • Breast reconstruction
  • Sex reassignment surgery
  • Amputations and replantations
  • Prominent ears correction (otoplasty)

You would go to see a cosmetic surgeon for elective procedures such as:
  • Breast augmentation or reduction
  • Mastopexy
  • Face lift or enhancement
  • Blepharoplasty
  • Otoplasty
  • Rhinoplasty
  • Liposuction or liposculpture
  • Abdominoplasty
  • Brachioplasty
  • Genioplasty
  • Gluteal augmentation
  • Lip augmentation
  • Botulinum toxin injections
  • Fat injections
  • Hair transplantation
  • Laser resurfacing
  • Filler treatments

What Questions Should I Ask A Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon?

  • Is this surgery right for my age? Are there any other treatment options available?
  • Which surgical technique are you going to use?
  • What type of anesthesia will I receive?
  • How many surgeries of this type have you done?
  • Will I need more surgeries in future and when?
  • Should I keep taking my other medicines before the surgery?
  • Do I need to stop smoking or drinking alcohol before my surgery?
  • What are the complications of the surgery?
  • What are the side effects of these procedures?
  • How long does recovery take? Are there any restrictions during my recovery?
  • How long will the procedure last? Can I get it done again?
  • What can reduce my pain and discomfort?
  • What precautions do I need to take post-surgery? Do I need to prepare my home for post-op recovery period?
  • What symptoms should I watch for?
  • What are my options if I am not satisfied with the cosmetic outcome of the surgery?

Doctors waiting to answer your question

Dr. Surindher
Dr. Surindher

Plastic Surgeon

Exp 17 years

Dr. M.S.Venkatesh
Dr. M.S.Venkatesh

Plastic Surgeon

Exp 32 years

Dr. Robert Grant
Dr. Robert Grant

Plastic Surgeon

Exp 28 years

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

...and 18,000+ more Doctors from across the world

Customer Feedback (last week)

98% Satisfied customers

Ask a Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon

for consultation/discussion about Acne scar, Breast reduction, Hand surgeries, Burns,Cleft surgery, abdominoplasty, tummy tuck, liposuction, facial corrections etc.

Recent Answers by Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon

Psychiatrist, Child

Can U do a photoshop possivbility of WHAT the best and brightest could do to change my face to looking more, boyish, less manly: closer to college kid? PLEASE watch the video too Here's a BETTER...

View full Conversation
What our users say
Employers who trust us



and many more...