Aim of the treatment includes
- decreasing oil production
- increasing skin cell turnover
- fighting bacterial infection
- reversing the inflammation
- or doing all the four
- Wash your fact once or twice daily with soap and water. This is to remove excess oil from the skin. Using an acne cleanser would be better. Avoid scrubbing hard as it can irritate the skin and worsen acne.
- Need to use cosmetics with the word noncomedogenic. This means that it does not cause or worsen acne.
- Some of the over the counter or cosmetic products for acne are helpful and can be used in mild cases of acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide: It kills the bacterial causing acne. It even causes drying and flaking of skin to prevent the plugging of pres.
- Retinoids: Topical retinoids are effective in treating noninflammatory types of acne (blackheads and whiteheads). One of the latest topical retionoid is Adapalene. Retinoids are used orally as well but has certain adverse effects and especially in pregnancy, it is contraindicated. Oral retinoids are indicated mainly in cystic acne.
- Oral contraceptives: Oral contraceptives containing a combination of norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol shown to improve acne in women.