Meniere's disease usually affects people around age of 40 to 50 years but can occur from 20 years on wards.on tests performed people with right ear affected tend to do more worse in the cognitive performance
some patients also suffer from nystagmus (repetitive involuntary eye movements)
Its exact cause is not known but it is believed to be due to endolymphatic hydrops.It is supposed to be caused due to endolymphatic channels flowing from its normal channels to other areas to damage
It is also said to be because of Herpes virus as it remains dormant in many and reactivates as immunity wanes
- fluctuating hearing loss
- aural fullness(it is similar to when we ride up a hill or ascending a plane but it cannot be cleared by swallowing)
- Otolaryngological tests such as audiometry is performed
- MRI is performed to rule out tumour of eight cranial nerve.
- Vestibular training,stress reduction,hearing aids to deal with hearing loss. some doctors prefer a low sodium diet
- Treatment also aims at reducing the inner fluid pressure with antihistamines, steroids , diuretics. devices which provide trans tympanic micropressure pulses such as meniett is also used
- Betahistine is used to treat symptoms.Acyclovir is used to counter Herpes infection as it prevents and reduces the damage to inner ear.
- In case of one severely affected ear chemical labrynthectomy is performed by injecting gentamicin into the middle ear which destroys the vestibular apparatus.vestibular neurectomy is also performed
- In certain cases to elimimate vertigo surgery is done to decompress endolymphatic sac which gives temporary relief
Exacerbations and remission are common in menieres disease as the age progresses.