What are the Causes of Ear Discharge?
- Bacterial infections of the outer ear
- Fungal infection
- Tumors of the ear
- Viral infections of the ear drum
When to see a Doctor?
- When the discharge is associated with pain
- When it is greenish or yellow or black colored
- When it is associated with swelling
- When there is decrease in hearing
- When there is discharge of bony particles
What are the Treatment options?
- Medical – Anti inflammatory drugs are the main stay of treatment if an inflammatory condition. An infection requires antibiotics.
- Surgical – Incision and drainage of the abscess has to be done if the pus has collected in a pocket. An extensive surgery is required if there is a deeper infection or a tumor. Key hole surgery is available at selected centers.
Do’s and Don’ts of Ear Discharge
- Keep the ear dry
- Use ear plugs while swimming and bathing
- Clean the ear with a dry wick
- Don’t use over the counter medications
- Do not scratch the ear
- Don’t poke the ear using sharp objects