CT scan can visualize abnormal massess but definitive pathologic diagnosis is established only with surgical biopsy. CT scan is more expensive than ultrasound.
Indications in gynecology
- To detect pituitary tumor.
- To detect ovarian tumor.
- To determine the cancer of genital tract.
- To detect the staging of cancer cervix.
- To determine myometrial involvement in endometrial cancer.
- To detect para-aortic nodes and obtain needle biopsy to determine retroperitoneal spread of cancer.
- To determine the spread of ovarian cancer.
- To detect intraabdominal abscess and hematoma.
- To diagnose pelivc vein thrombophlebitis.