what type of doctor handled abscess of the gums?

Asked On : Thu, 10 Jun 2010
Dentist 's  Response

Abscess of gums can be because of many reasons. so it is very difficult to say who can handle it.
Basically any dentist who is qualified can handle an dental abscess......

If you need an specialist then in specific terms if it is from the periodontal origin then periodontist can handle it well.
If it is from the tooth origin then endodontics can handle it well..

My suggestion is go for diagnosis first and then treatment.

Dr. Vishal
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
An abscess in the gums need not be an infection of the gums in general it could be also due to an infected tooth. A dentist can identify it and provide the adequate treatment. A specialist of the gums and periodontal ligament is known as a Periodontist.
Doctors holding BDS/MDS degrees are qualified to treat dental abscess of tooth or periodontal origin.
Dentist Dr. Akash Prasad's  Response
Generally abscess of gum can be handled by any general dentist, but a periodontist of an Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon is a specialised doctor.
Dentist Dr. Roshan Khan's  Response
basically any dentist would deal with those. but if u need any specialist you can search for periodontists or oral surgeons
Dentist Dr. Latif's  Response
periodontist / oral and maxillofacial surgeon,