what happens if you drink alcohol while taking metropolis 400 ?

I am wondering what would happen if I drank alcohol whilst taking METROGY 400
Asked On : Sat, 12 Mar 2011
Metrogyl is metronidazole and it is known to have disulfiram like action and hence causes nausea,vomiting and other sideeffects so it is better to abstain from alcohol while you are on metrogyl.
take care.

Anonymous's Response
I have actually drunk alcohol whilst taking Metrogyl and I can confirm what the doctors have said - it definitely causing nausea and vomiting. I know that the advice is never to drink whilst taking antibiotics but I'm sure I'm not alone in having ignored this advice in the past. However, with Metrogyl it's different - you really do start vomiting and it's VERY uncomfortable! If I were you I wouldn't risk it, I know I will be more careful in the future!
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
metrogyl itself is a gastric irritant and is known to cause metallic taste in the mouth. Alcohol intake might further worsen the gastric irritation and reduce absorption of the drug, kindly abstain from alcohol during the course of the treatment