what does alt(sgpt) is 143.5 unit per litre indicate ?

my aunt alt(sgpt) is 143.5 unit per liter.may i know what does it means,her age is 55
Asked On : Tue, 9 Aug 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query

It mean that one of her liver enzymes has raised. There are various causes for which it cn happen. It has to be related clinically. However the enzyme level eventhough raised is in good permissable levels. Repeat it after a week
Have a healthy living
General Surgeon Dr. Avinash A's  Response
welcome to hcm
does she have pain abdomen? could be a liver problem and even sometimes cardiac or kidney problems..get her completely evaluated like monitoring all her liver function tests,ECG, and kidney function tests..dont worry she will be fine once the cause is treated..take care
Welcome to Health Care Magic,
SGPT is an enzyme required for energy production and is produced mainly by liver although a small amount is also produced by heart and skeletal muscles.It is used in conjunction with other liver enzymes like SGOT to detect liver disease.Both the levels are increased during liver and heart disease.SGPT is increased in liver disease caused by alcohol.High level of SGPT indicates liver cell damage,hepatitis,cirrhosis,heart failure or gall stones.
Radiologist Dr. Gaurav Sundar's  Response
welcome to
The SGPT or ALT is an enzyme made by the liver. A single value in isolation is not of much significance. By what most text books say, if the value is elevated to more than 150, it is high. But this should be correlated with other liver parameters. If your aunt consumes alcohol, it is advised that she reduces her alcohol intake as these can also elevate liver enzyme levels.
Wish you good health.