what could have causing Random Fainting and low Blood Pressure ?

Hello, Today my dad (44, Smoker) was feeling sick so he walked up the stairs to go to bed when he got to the 3rd stair he stopped and fainted falling backwards where luckily my step mom was there to catch him. He has high blood pressure but before he went to go up stairs he check his pressure and it was really low. Somewhere like 57 over 39. 10 Minutes later he is ok but still lying down.... Any ideas what could have caused this? Could this be a sign of a stroke?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009