what actually is the purpose of a treadmill stress test??

My doctor recommended that i have a treadmill stress test done.I had one done today and the doctor said that the study went fine.What actually was she saying about my heart?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Dec 2009
We generally do stress tests to determine if the blood flow to the heart is adequate, to clear patients for an exercise program, to evaluate concerning symptoms. We also do them to evaluate certain cardiac rhythm disturbances---either fast or slow rhythms. They also can give prognostic information about how long a patient will live based on the amount of time he exercises. They really shouldn't be used for screening purposes, however, as this is costly and of low yield.