vomiting,diarrhea,on birth control,stomach flu or pregancy?

My girlfriend woke up suddenly last night and had to vomit , lasting about 15mins, this morning she woke up and went to get a shower and ended up having vomit and diarrhea , she is on birth control and we are careful, so no chance of pregnancy (trust me, my first thought was immediately that). We were just curious if stomach flu or flu symptoms can come on so suddenly.
Asked On : Wed, 25 Apr 2012
hello ,

first of all you need to mention what birth control method you both are following, accordingly we can justify the possibility of pregnancy.
All birth control measures are not hundred percent effective.
pregnancy can be ruled out by a simple urine pregnancy test.
the symptoms you are talking about is vomiting and diarrhea which can very well be related to gastroenteritis or food poisoning.
so first , kindly give her some symptomatic treatment for vomiting and diarrhea followed by a pregnancy test.
OBGYN Dr. Sree Gouri SR's  Response
May 2013
according to the symptoms given by you there is more chance for gastroenteritis(stomach flu).
To present the symptoms of gastroenteritis it will take 12 to 72 hours from the time of getting infected depending on the type of infectious agent.
Once infection establishes the symptoms will occur suddenly.
Normally the prominent symptoms will be vomitings, pain abdomen and diarrhea.
other possibilities are appendicitis, urinary tract infection, inflammatory bowel disease, pelvic inflammatory disease etc.
Now you better visit local doctor and get her examined along with lab investigations.
Meanwhile maintain her hydration with plenty of oral fluids.
take care