what is the treatment of trichotillomania ?
Asked On : Sun, 16 May 2010
Thanks for your query. Trichotillomania is an impulse control disorders. Those drugs that control impulsivity like SSRI's are usually effective in this disorder. However, they need to be used in conjunction with behavioural techniques like habit reversal or aversive conditioning techniques. This would help in quicker symptom control. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar

trichotillomania is a type of escape mechanism which people use to divert themselves from stressful and unmagable situtions.Anxious situtions also provoke the behavior. A impulse control diorder which develops because of habitution. the sudden pulling of the hair gives a immediate distraction from the distressing thought and the pain experience keep you unconciously occupied with the sensation so that you feel temprorily free and relaxed. Cognitive behavior therapy has been found to be very effective. so consult a clinical psychologist or Cognitive behavior therapist at the earliest

Clinical PSychologist
Psychiatrist Dr. Susanta Padhy's  Response
Thanks for the question
Trichotillomania is type of impulse control disorder as per ICD-10. The treatment is alone or combination of medication and behaviour therapy. SSRI group of medications are usually helpful. But, before treating, diagnosis has to be confirmed and weather any associated impulse control spectrum disorder is present ? A psychiatrist consultation will be helpful. ‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Trichotillomania can be due to various reasons. Sometimes it can be transient and mild usually occuring only during stressful situations. In such cases, the problem can be self limiting (spontaneous recovery is possible). In more serious cases, a thorough evaluation by a specialist is necessary to detect any underlying cause that may be present. A combination of drug and behaviour therapy is usually helpful.